Question About Shrimp And Fish

Senroc

I've got a 30 gal (roughly) tank that I'm going to set up in our basement that I'd like to turn into a little community tank. I was thinking of going with a Betta and a group of females for him, with potentially a little school of neon tetras, or something along those lines. What I'd like to focus on more is having shrimp of various kinds. I've been noticing them more and more and I think they'd make a great addition, but I'm not very familiar with they're needs or compatibility with fish species, or if various species of shrimp are compatible with each other. Don't particularly want to buy fish snacks or create gang wars ;) Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Senroc

I've seen Bettas try to snack on Cherry Shrimp. The shrimp are usually too fast for the Betta, but if it can catch them, the Betta won't hesitate to eat all of your shrimp!

So far, the only fish I've successfully kept with a thriving shrimp population are Endlers livebearers (adult guppies will eat shrimp, but Endlers seem too small), Corys and Plecos. Some people have said that Hypancistrus spp. plecos will eat shrimp, but I've never experienced that.

Hmmm...may be a trickier proposition than I originally thought.

Like Jvision said Betas will happily eat shrimp, but I've also heard of Betas that leave them alone. It seems to depend on the personality of the Beta, I'd establish the shrimp in the tank first and try to give them good plant cover THEN introduce a Beta. If you go with a less expensive shrimp species like RCS you can try it out without too much concern over losing 1 or 2 and the RCS' breeding will outpace the Betas appetite anyways.

Most any fish that can catch and jam a shrimp in it's mouth (with a very few exceptions) will eat Em but if you have a thriving shrimp population and lots of hiding places you may not notice a decline in population (you probably will notice how little you spend on fish food)

aye, 100% agree with the above post. I can certify that guppies LOOOOVE to eat shrimp. I found out the hard way, after my 7 10Gallon tanks full of wonderful looking shrimp, seem to only have guppies

now and 0.00001% shrimp:(

ah well, live & learn:)

cheers,

Antonio (Tigs)

Some bettas can be kept with shrimp, especially the slow ones with long, heavy fins. I wouldn't get your hopes up for starting a good colony though, if they can catch them and they fit an their mouth they'll eat them.

Housing a group of female bettas with a male is really not really a great idea, to be honest... Bettas are very aggressive to their own kind, and the chances are fairly high that injuries, stress, disease, and death will result (on both sides-females can be just as aggressive as males, especially in a group setting where they can "team up"). The only time I've ever seen males be kept with females successfully is what all were bought as babies, and even then there are still people who have had females just turn on the male out of the blue and kill him. If you want to keep bettas you're better off keeping a group of females (aka betta sorority), which should have at least five or six fish to spread aggression, or a single male.

Anyways, yea, most of the above posters have covered that if big fish eat smaller fish (and shrimp).

• 4 weeks later...

If you would like to do fish and shrimp with concentration on the shrimp I would recommend the following:

Otocinclus catfish - Great little algae eaters to

Dwarf Corydoras do well - may eat some of the babies so i would recommend letting the shrimp population boom a little first prior to adding these.

Along with some of the ones mentioned previously.

Provide some low light plants, moss, wood and hiding places and the shrimp will thrive. The Cherry Shrimp are pretty and cost effective as well. If you do not go with betas you could bump up to CRS with the above fish.

Key thing I would recommend with shrimp is go for a couple of sponge filters so the babies survive. Riverfront sells some nice stackable sponge filters for cheep which can give you great filtration with lower flow as well which will make the shrimp happier and are super easy to maintain. The shrimp will eat off of the filters as well.

Key thing I would recommend with shrimp is go for a couple of sponge filters so the babies survive. Riverfront sells some nice stackable sponge filters for cheep which can give you great filtration with lower flow as well which will make the shrimp happier and are super easy to maintain. The shrimp will eat off of the filters as well.

What are these stackable sponge filters of which ye speaketh!? I must know. Please.

What are these stackable sponge filters of which ye speaketh!? I must know. Please.

Riverfront has them. You pull the top off one, and the base off another, and they click together, so you can create a double or triple-tall sponge filter of a particular diameter. The Sponge filters that Riverfront carries are very good quality, and about 1/2 to 1/3 the price of their counterparts carried by other local shops.

Edited by Toirtis