Snail Removal Ideas

Maxwell

Hi everyone

looiking for a simple solution that will help in removing excess snails from my 60 gallon

planted aquarium glass.

Netting isn't very effective as they bypass and fall to the bottom of the tank.

I envision a tool with a blade attached to some form of netting that will capture these

little devils and then allow for quick removal

Nothing along these lines is stocked at aquarian shops (that I can find anyway)

Your ideas are welcomed and thank you

You can throw a piece of lettuce in (with a weight) in the evening and see if they'll collect on it, then yank it out the next morning.

Assasin snails are awesome too, but can get expensive if you buy from petstores.

My snails graze on the glass during -the dark period- around 3-4 pm and at 11 pm I use a small thin plastic jar (Urine collection jar works fine) about 2 inch x 2 inch scrape gently from the bottom to almost dislodge then wait for the snail to fall in the little jar, do all you need, then discard. I harvest 25 at a time to feed the loaches when they become a pest. I collect 25 in 2 minutes most times.

J

Thanks everyone for their suggestions

I have used the lettuce leaves method, it works but is slow. I have a couple of assasin snails in there

but this is not having much effect that I can see..

Still thinking about a simple tool that should do the job much faster.

Imagine a net attached to a long handled scraper. One pass and you've cleaned the glass.

How to assemble these two together is my question.

Where's an inventor when you need one :)

If you have a scraper and you have a net, just hold them both in the same hand - maybe bend the net a bit to catch all the snails.

I also recommend assassin snails. I have ten of them in my 40 gal, and they have eliminated the MTS, ramshorn, and pond snail population.

I guess you'd need about 15-20 of assassins for your 60 gal. It might take a month or two to see the results.

But IME it works, and is better than chemicals.

My snails graze on the glass during -the dark period- around 3-4 pm and at 11 pm I use a small thin plastic jar (Urine collection jar works fine) about 2 inch x 2 inch scrape gently from the bottom to almost dislodge then wait for the snail to fall in the little jar, do all you need, then discard. I harvest 25 at a time to feed the loaches when they become a pest. I collect 25 in 2 minutes most times.

J

Doesn't your water get yellow with high ammonia readings? :hey:

+1 Assassin Snails

I had a crazy snail problem in my tank for 4 months. I added 6 assassins in the tank. After 2 months it's impossible to find a single snail (excluding my assassins).

They also were breeding like crazy for me. I sold maybe 40 Assassins after 6 months.