Stocking! Exciting

GalenGrey

I posted something similar under general as well but I've just now realized it might be better suited for here!

I've got a 29 gallon with driftwood, hard water, and a ph of 8.0.

I'm not incredibly interested in small schooling fish because I like more interaction but at the same time, it's a small tank and I feel bad putting larger fish in their minimum size tank.

I've looked at cichlids and angelfish, I also considered mixing a larger one or two with a small school but I simply can't decide.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've already got 5 cherry shrimp in there.

I'd like something that will notice when I come to feed them. I had gourami's in a different tank that did so and don't really want to go that route again quite yet.

Ps. I attached a picture of the tank so you can see swimming room.

post-6490-0-74456700-1394075165_thumb.jpg

GBR's are a blast lots of personality, friendly to most fish not sure about shrimp.Give them some plants & a few flat rocks you might even get them to breed.Mine are always swimming up to say hello and begging for food.

Edited by flyfisher

Thanks! It's actually two pieces that I managed to wedge in there! I've been thinking about weeping moss on the wood and some grass on the bottom. What to you think?

Hmm, you know, I've heard that a few times lately. I was slightly put off by the small size but maybe I was too quick to judge. How many to a 29 gallon would you suggest? Have you had them yourself? Any success in spawing? Thanks!

GBR's are gorgeous! I'll have to do some reading on them, I briefly thought about Rams but I wasn't too sure.

Edited by GalenGrey

I have a trio 1M 2F in a 20g planted with some BN plecos, I was hesitate in the beginning heard about how difficult they were to keep.But once I had the tank planted and stable they seemed to settle in very quickly and began to breed regularly about every second week, but so far they have eaten everything they laid.But one of these days I will grab the eggs and try to raise separately.

What they lack in size they make up for with their big personality's.Not sure how many would be happy in your 29g I would guess double should work if they have lots of hiding spots.

Forgot to mention I also have another female that I used as a dither fish in a tank of some high strung Goyder River rainbows that were having a problem settling into their new tank.

Edited by flyfisher

+1 I've had the dwarf pea puffers and they are a hoot. Watch them hunt snails in the tank, it's quite something to see. Press your nose against the glass and they will too. Very inquisitive of a fish.

Moss on wood is never a bad idea imo. Dwarf hair grass is a good species to give a go with. Other things such baby tears, glosso, and S. repens can work too. Not sure on your light source as that will help determine what species you'd want on the bottom.

Thanks again all of you. I'm doing some research into Dwarf Puffers now. I know they have a tank full at Pisces right now so I might take a jaunt down there again. But, if I didn't go with them, does anyone have more suggestions? Or any fish that seem to be more compatible with the puffers? Cheers!

Ps. Doing some reading just now told me that Puffers will unfortunately kill my RCS's. I'd have to move them.

Edited by GalenGrey

Your RCS should be fine IMO. Either way, with your water params and the desire for an engaging fish, Dwarf Puffers are the way to go. You could easily house some cheap Ghost Shrimp in the tank for a fraction of the cost, and they'd be able to handle themselves against the puffers. Ramshorn snails can keep the tank clean and provide a food source for the puffers - and every now and then you can toss in some bloodworms for a nice treat.

Hmm, I'll check and see if there are any puffers left next time I'm in Calgary. Cochrane doesn't have much in the way of fish.

Well, that'd be excellent. I'll PM you about that ckmullin!

I found a nice looking piece of Malaysian driftwood that I'm going to give a go. There was java wood there too but it looked so close to grape wood I decided not to trust it. Just gotta get everything outta there now. I'll post a picture tonight once I've got it fixed up again.