Just A "question" About Aquarium Kitchen Island

Claudiohv

Looks cool but not very practical. I wouldn't want to do any heavy chopping on it if it was glass and it would eventually get scratched up if acrylic.

If you want it made of glass, Concept could easily make it but I bet your warranty would be void as soon as the countertop went on.

Looks amazing but for the $8-10,000 it'd cost to have that done properly I'd want to put in a much nicer scape.

Things to consider:

-Brace or reinforce the floor, that's at least a 180 gallon tank in the middle of the floor.

-Don't work much about strength, any smart tank builder will specify 3/4" or 1" glass... It'll withstand the apocalypse.

-You'll need some way to lift the counter top for servicing and maintenance.

-Basement sump = biiiig, potentially noisy return pump, do you have a utility room or closet directly under your desired location?

All that being said, if I was building a new house I'd consider doing this.

I've seen a few tanks plumbed into the basement - set up a Durso or Herby and your sump can be nearly silent. Hopfully part of the counter top is removeable for maintenance. I'd go bare bottom, but not plain glass - some kind of marble or composite with a sand/stone design. I do like how they have fake rock work built into the canopy, probably hiding sink plumbing and such.

Intense indeed. As a plumber and from a purely maintenance point of view, you really don't want us coming in and doing any kind of work on that sink...lol. I think if someone were to actually do this they're not going to be too worried about actually using that kitchen for its intended purpose lol. Cool idea though. I'd love to have a basement wall tank...alongside my glass walled garage full of super cars :)