Nitrate Soaking Plants

zoopkamol

looking to do a nitrate soaking plant in my sump

looking to take some egg crate light diffuser and take some styrofoam strips silicone to crate to allow floatage

so looking for some suggestions for plants that can have roots fully emmersed in sump water.

im thinking pothos as a front runner.

or any other suggestion on how to make a nitrate plant sponge in a sump.

cant do planted section in sump as there are mbuna fry/juvies in sump that will destroy plants

any help would be appreciated

Spatiphylum and Chinese evergreen grows very well on top of my tanks, the roots are not too long. Anthurium does okay....Pothos grows fast and has long trailers I find them a bit messy after a while. I provide light for 10 hrs a day for them.

It takes more plants than you think too use ALL the nitrates produced by aquarium fish.... 6 healthy and large plants on a 70 gallon is not enough. I have 7 or 8 on a 180 ....it helps quite a bit but still not enough. Both tanks are heavily planted as well and the fish load is medium.

I started to use some bacteria to help with the waste. All of this does help with the WC, as I do less changes on those tanks.

I use guppy grass, duckweed and other floating plants in others and I think that this is more effective in large quantities..

Edited by geleen

If you want to get really creative and have high nitrates, do something the fruits... strawberries, maybe? It's when they're fruiting that plants will really soak up the nitrates.

If you look up DWC aquaponics or hydroponics, you'll see a simple way of making a raft out of styrofoam. Make sure the roots stay clean (I'm trying cherry shrimp) and are highly oxygenated, and you're good to go! I have a mini bell pepper over a cichlid tank that produces little peppers.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Trying this dwc thing with few lettuce pods. Raft is 16"x18" with 9 1.25" pvc couplers with Rockwool as media

looking for lighting now. Have a 4 bulb t5ho fixture just sitting around. Currently has 10000k bulbs in it.

looking to put some 6400k sunblasters in it. Looking for cheapest place for bulbs. Also thinking only need 1 or 2 for my use

I just did some searching around town for the lowest price and I figured Lee Valley is as good as you can get. Even after shipping from some of the Canadian online retailers, the price was comparable at Lee Valley.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Wow, so glad I found this thread! I've got a goldfish tank that has weird dimensions, it's 4ft long but shallow, so while the swimming space is there for my 3 little guys, the water volume is not sufficient to keep the nitrates down for long.
I've heard of using pothos, we've got those in the community, but hydroponics always sounded so complicated. Thanks a ton for making it seem simpler nd easy to understand!
Question - would regular aquarium T8 bulbs in the planted spectrum (roughly 6500k, not sure what each individual bulb is, that's my bf's area) be good enough for the terrestrial plants too? Would we need to switch it up or just giv'er and keep an eye on the distance from the bulbs? I'm assuming for houseplants that isn't a problem, since they are usually making do with sunlight from windows.