Tattooed Fish At Gold's Aquarium Calgary

Hello everyone it was brought to my attention that Gold's aquarium in calgary is selling tattooed fish, if anyone can confirm and complain while in or phone and complain so that hopefully they will see the light and not bring in anymore TIA

Really not too sure why you would post this to begin with if you haven't even confirmed it yourself in person, but just a

FYI this thread is in violation of this sites TOS.

http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=11473

Being as I had been informed down to tank location in store by a fellow aquariumnist, who had patronized the store this weekend, and that I'm passionate about bringing awareness to animal cruelty, I felt the need to share on the hope that our fellow Calgarians fish keepers could help. On the whole, Golds is an excellent store and I'm sure that if it was brought to their attention the concerns regarding the fish, that they wouldn't bring in more as it was probably a novelty they brought in. I do not feel that I violated the TOS as I didn't state anything negative about the store itself, but if the moderators feel I have then more than welcome to remove my post and I will continue to promote my cause in other forums. Have a nice day.

Do they have any fish with the flaming C available ?

I hope they don't Jorg and I realize your attempt at humor, it's just seeing the deformities and mutilations done to fish upset me. I've joined a wonderful bunch of people who are attempting to get the sale of dyed/tattooed/mutilated (ie heart shaped parrotfish) banned for sale in Canada as their isn't much regulations (as your probably aware) concerning cruelty to fish as they are not technically considered a pet

Do they have any fish with the flaming C available ?

I hope they don't Jorg and I realize your attempt at humor, it's just seeing the deformities and mutilations done to fish upset me. I've joined a wonderful bunch of people who are attempting to get the sale of dyed/tattooed/mutilated (ie heart shaped parrotfish) banned for sale in Canada as their isn't much regulations (as your probably aware) concerning cruelty to fish as they are not technically considered a pet

I was kidding, but seriously tattooed fish don't bother me much. I don't know I kinda place it on the same level as getting my dog tattooed except one is for ID and one is for decoration. I would never buy one as I think they are stupid looking but they have been for sale there on and off for a long time.

I know, just hoping if pet stores don't bring in, since people aren't buying that can prevent the unnatural death of what would have been otherwise a healthy beautiful fish. Next step is preventing certain local chain stores from selling fish that really shouldn't be in the hobby ie pacus, red tail catfish, and that is going to be a battle. Even my furred pets I opted for the more expensive chip over tattooing due to less pain involved. I wouldn't have even done that but if they ever got lost I wanted them home. I know some who will read this thread will think I'm nuts or silly but it's something I feel I need to do as a fishkeeper

Edit-at least tattoing your dog serves a purpose, doing it for decoration does nothing

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

While I applaud your passion regarding animal cruelty, I don't personly feel that this forum is the place to single out each & every vendor that may go against what you personally feel is cruel, or not, including what species of fish should be kept in the hobby, or not. No one is saying that you can't or shouldn't promote your cause, but IMO this isn't the way to go about doing so. I guess the PTB here can decide whether or not your thread should stay.

Maybe the fish wanted to get tattooed.. IMHO, this is not the place for this either. It's a whole can of worms that would never end and if a tattooed fish get someone into the hobby, that's a good thing. I heard this argument in the US about glofish..

I think most of us on the Mod/Admin share the opinion that this site is a great place for open and honest discussion on opinions and experiences in the hobby. But, I'm also sure that we all agree that if even a hint of a flame war starts, the discussion will be shut down.

So far, so good... :)

First...confirm it for yourself.

Second...Make sure you go to Gold aquariums (don't call so they can see who your are) with your full name and complaint.

FYI Gold aquariums has been made aware if this thread!

I agree about not naming vendors! I agree best store in Calgary hands down,no complaints and this is my go to store for everything especially the knowledge of the staff.. Been shopping there since they opened in 1993 been in the hobby for 25yrs.

This is someone's livelihood and someones "cause" or crusade should not be discussed in a public forum for everyone to read when no laws have been broken.

Here is a little excerpt from the Fish Channel...

Asking stores to stop selling them is not feasible, for a very, very simple reason. If a store stops selling them, someone else will sell them, and customers will go there. There is demand for these fish, even if people do not realize they are dyed. A store which doesn't carry them will get a reputation for not having the same variety as a store that does. While we may not like the practice, it makes business sense to sell them as long as people buy them. In these economic times, with Local Fish Stores folding left, right, and center, I would never ask a store to do something that might be detrimental to its business.

And it goes on...Article is on the internet.

Edited by t-man

Good discussion. A point to remember is that there are organizations out there that would like nothing better than to ban all pets from human possession. Feasible or not it, it might be wise for the industry as a whole to consider regulating itself in whatever way that means, before the ill-informed politicians and these zealous organizations stumble into the scene with their misguided influence. This scenario is already playing itself out in other jurisdictions in Europe and North America.

Edited by syno321

I have sat down several times to reply to this thread and each time started a reply, to simply put this.

In response to working on which fish should or shouldn't be in the hobby, as stated in early reply was removing specialty fish like Pacus and Red Tail Catfish from chain petstores, not the hobby ( I wrote the early post too quickly and missed stating this earlier muy apologies). Rather have them in aquarium stores where they generally have knowledgeable staff who can steer the beginner aquariumnist away from them or make them aware of the special needs of said fish, rather than the chain pet stores who really could care less if the fish die as it means they can sell you more.

I agree about not getting into the glofish debate as you said it will go on and then lead into the hybrid debate and continue ad naseum.

The reason the store was named rather than left anonymous, was to prevent the many pm's and to keep everything above board and open. I was careful with my wording so as not to post as a negativity as a store (which I have and still recommend to others, as I have been there several times in the past when visiting Calgary) but rather to show a "negative connotation" on a species of fish offered. In NO WAY have I stated "Don't buy fish here." OR "Boycott Gold's for Cruelty", I simply asked fellow fish keepers to express complaints much like a customer review. I chose this forum (and one other) to air my concerns as I felt that the majority of fishkeepers here would not turn this into a torch and pitchfork mob but be able to express their concerns to the store in a fashion that would bring awareness to the store that the species offered was undesirable.

Thank you for making Gold's aware of this thread as my main goal was to bring awareness to the store. I am currently aiming to come down hopefully in the next month, but travelling with 3 children for a trip of this length is a chore. I would gladly go to Gold's and express myself to them my concerns. the undesirability of the fish, the cruelty it endured to survive the process and how many of its species died in order to produce the amount the store purchased, as I have on many occasions stores here in Edmonton, selling species that endured similar cruelties ie jellybean parrots.

I have read several articles in different forums, magazines, and on the internet all saying the same thing, can't fight it why bother. It's very disheartening, especially coming from such a wide spread subscription as Fish Channel but by eradicating even one store at a time that offers these fish, it can help create less of demand until all stores aren't selling and the suppliers invariably move on to another form of mutilation to make a quick buck. Do I realize this wont happen overnight? Yes. Do I think I can help make a difference? Yes. Do I believe getting Gold's to not order anymore of these fish will hurt its business? No. As they offer many more non mutilated fish that sell I have no doubt just as well if not better.

Edited by SuperGuppyGirl

I am some indifferent to the idea of tattoo'd fish and have more of a beef against thing like Hi Fin Lyretail Swords and fancy bettas but that notion that less supply would lessen demand is misinform - less supply with always create more demand. What would generally happened with prices go up it you won't see them as much in markets like here where people are probably not willing to spend that type of money but in place like asia if prices goes up it will only drive them to go more crazier things because there is good money to be made. The only thing that would create less demand is either more supply or just less demand.

if you want to stop it you will have to do it at the regulation / government level. But from a retail perspective the customers that talks the loudest is usually the spends the most money, most often, i.e. the loyal, long time customers because at the end of the day the are the ones that pay the bills. And if those customers are the ones that want to buy the tattoo'd fish, than you bring some in for them. if it doesn't sell than you don't stock them on regular basis. But if it keeps selling than you have to decide what is more beneficial to your business: the potential business of the customers who would buy those fish from you or the potential loss of customers from you selling these type of fish. I am sure most owners of fish stores who have been in the business for while are well aware of the uproar of selling certain type of fish would create.

At the end of the day, if the fish is truly undesirable it would not sell and the issue would solve itself.

Edited by jumpsmasher