Pond Pics

nyb440

Looks great! Maybe I'll set one up in my yard next year. Now, I wonder if it'll fit.... :shifty:

Edited by jvision

Actually, I am pretty serious about doing some sort of pond next spring. It just won't be as big as yours, nyb440. I'm thinking of using railway ties, stacking them 2 or 3 high, and doing something about 3' x 3' x 18" or so. I'd landscape it with a few outdoor plants, but I also think I'll try putting some of the plants I have in the tank out there.

Have also heard of good results of ppl spawning different types of fish in outdoor ponds. Not sure if I'll go the heated route to try this out.... it's tempting. :shifty:

The railroad tie idea sounds good, you can probably get some good plant growth in there. Is a below grade pond not possible because of condo bylaws, or something like that? I ask because above grade ponds can change temperature quite a bit in one day, which can be a problem for fish, although if you intend to heat it, it probably won't cool too much at night.

Actually, I am pretty serious about doing some sort of pond next spring. It just won't be as big as yours, nyb440. I'm thinking of using railway ties, stacking them 2 or 3 high, and doing something about 3' x 3' x 18" or so. I'd landscape it with a few outdoor plants, but I also think I'll try putting some of the plants I have in the tank out there.

Or you might try a half whiskey barrel or wash tub. http://www.frugalmachinist.com/barrel.html

Ok tried the link this morning and it works now, very nice flowers BTW. My pond is about 1000+ gallons and about 4 feet at the deep end. On the part you don't see there is a bridge crossing the narrow end. I built the mill 2 years ago and use a 2200 GPH & a 300 GPH to power it and run the water to an external bio filter I built. The reason for the 300 GPH is to keep the filter media wet at night. The 2200GPH is on a timer and is off at night. Oh and herer a picture of the other end.

PondMill.jpg

Edited by HOSStile

Is a below grade pond not possible because of condo bylaws, or something like that? I ask because above grade ponds can change temperature quite a bit in one day, which can be a problem for fish, although if you intend to heat it, it probably won't cool too much at night.

I'm not sure if the condo board would go for it; though, being a newb at the last general meeting, I got roped into being on the board.... it might pay off come spring time. :shifty:

Or you might try a half whiskey barrel or wash tub.

That's Plan B! If I can't get my wife to go along with it, or if the condo board kyboshes my plans... barrel it is! Maybe even with one of those old fashioned water pump fountains! :thumbs:

• 9 months later...

i want to see some more pond pictures... I am planning on building on next spring in my back yard. still need some more idea's. but wow do i have alot of yard work to do. I think i am going to be spending 2-3 weeks back there once school is done and i am back from belize