Would you like to see "Vendor Review" return?

Would you like to see Vendor Review return?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If vendors were smart, they would use the feedback constructively to improve their stores. The feedback on the Calgary stores has been poor lately, but the reason is that the majority of Calgary stores have gone downhill significantly in the last 2 years (with the exception of a few which have continued their high level of service).

It should absolutely return.

I agree with Kevin, for the most part the critsism on there was fair regardless of how it was written. Some people did tend to get a little screechy but that could be handled though a little more proactive nudging from the moderators.

As a store emplyee I found the feedback very useful.

I would like to see it come back. I found the sections very informative, as to who had fish i was looking for, the best and worst prices in and out of town. Yes some of the reviews could get quite nasty, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

At the end of the day I can see that having a Vendor review is better than NOT.

I too always thought that the feedback given would prove invaluable to store managers. Members views were often open and honest and accompanied with ideas to improve the situation or a pat on the back to let a store know they were doing something the customers liked.

I understand the mod's concern with members "bashing" stores with little to no evidence to back up their views, but one has to remember it's just the view of a single person and it gets pretty easy to spot someone on a vendetta apposed to another aquarist wanting to share their experiences with certain stores and pass on advice.

Although a consistently poor review of a particular store will make me look more closely at their stock and products, the ultimate choice of where I decide to shop is mine, not another members.

If the vendor review section was getting too much for the moderators to monitor I would be more than happy to lend my help. I feel that the website is missing a great part of it, an open discussion on the main stream suppliers of everything that the aquarist requires to continue their hobby. Just my two cents.

Thought that I should add that I really enjoy the site, so much information/humour and GREAT deals. Two thumbs up. :thumbs:

Edited by Reza

The only problem with the Vendor forum is people take things personal, you cant read emoition and thats the main issue

If there was a way to lock a topi after the review was posted then things would not get out of hand IMO

Personally i just hate seeing all the slander that goes on here on this board, either ppl need to chill out a little or just PM the issues, there is no reason to air dirty laundry out in the open like it has been in the past with a select few old members

You could also restrict it to retail vendors only, I think that would make the most sense for now.

A place where you can talk about things like John Doe misrepresented something in his add or Jane Doe never coughed up the $ she owes me is a nice thing to have but takes much more work than the retail bit.

It should also be a completely seperate entity IMO.

Actually there has never been anything slanderous posted on this site, but there has been a few threads where libel could come into play.

You can read more about the legal definitions, and their implications in the links below:

http://www.cyberlibel.com/libel.html

http://www.ncra.ca/resources/mediaLaw/definitions.cfm

http://www.duhaime.org/Tort/ca-defam.aspx

While the Vendor Review can be a great tool, it also has the potential to lead to legal situations that the admin on this site may one day find themselves being held responsible for. As an example, people stating that a certain store sells "sick fish", could be enough to cause legal action from that store, particularly if the person making that statement is not qualified (as in holding a degree on said subject) to make such claims, and/or if those comments cause a loss of business by the store being accused of said practices.

Not always easy to prove in a court of law, but the cost of defending such actions could be a serious burden for a forum such as this.

The John & Jane Doe comments made from time to time should be the least of admins concerns.

I belong to a digest forum, and the very same thing RD mentioned is what happened a few years ago. A certain retailer decided to sue for defamation.

I believe the list won the suite - as it's not a topic brought up anymore - but, the legal costs were enormus... into the tens-of-thousands. Thankfully, there was a lot of generosity from people on the list from all around the world; but, it was a huge waste of time and money.

I agree with everyone else, that the Vendor Review is an excellent asset to the forum, but all it takes is one person with a vendeta, and we're in a lot of hot water, very fast.

Edited by jvision

There's a fish forum in BC that was sent a cease & desist letter from a local big box store (one that has been mentioned here a number of times) several months ago, and the letter basically stated that if these types of negative 'review' comments continued, there would be legal action taken, and the action would be taken against the administrator (owner) of that site who was allowing these comments to be published. In the end the admin decided that he did not want to have to hire an attorney to defend any potential lawsuits, and basically removes/edits anything that he sees that may cause a legal action.

On the flip side, they do have a Buyers/Sellers Feedback area, which could help avoid any future situations such as what we have seen here recently, as well as what's taken place in the past. It only involves members, so unless a big box store joins the forum no worries about anyone getting their panties in a knot.

http://bcaquaria.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=12

Then again, if you require "visual proof" of a wrong doing, obviously this system won't help warn of any potential cheats &/or liars.

Personally, I would like to see the Vendor Review return. So many members here have been more than generous with their comments towards my product. Sometimes to the point where I get the feeling they feel obligated to comment-and that isn't the case whatsoever for me.

There have been a couple incidents where Majestic has been involved in somewhat negative experiences. (and quite frankly, if I don't get caught up here, there may be more to come...thanks to all for their patience... :( )

These aren't productive, and in both cases I believe they were handled incorrectly, one on my part, the other..well-water under the bridge-doesn't matter.

So, if I fit the John Doe description, my apologies. I do have to thank the admin. and mods. for doing all they can to recover any product-it really isn't up to these people to do so, and I do not expect them to do any bill collecting for me.

As well, formal apologies for making a direct link between any members, and moderators.

So, If this is it to the Vendor Review, it would be dissapointing. So many products, NLS for one, and retailers, esp. Gold Aquariums IMO would suffer; as I cannot recall a negative comment directed to either.

Thank you. B)

here's a fish forum in BC that was sent a cease & desist letter from a local big box store (one that has been mentioned here a number of times) several months ago, and the letter basically stated that if these types of negative 'review' comments continued, there would be legal action taken, and the action would be taken against the administrator (owner) of that site who was allowing these comments to be published.

You can mitigate this risk.

Policy that limits ownership of comments to the poster can help limit liability.

Additionally a policy set forth governing the type comments that are acceptable can help. EG, "I was at Store X and I saw many fish that were infected with parasites" is not the same as "the fish all look like crap and are sick". "On Jan 30th, the orange platys in the center isle have anchor worm" is even better. This not only mitigates the risk involved, it makes the comments more useful for the members. We just need to exercise a little discipline and enforce it. I'd be glad to lend some time to help with that.

You should also keep in mind that if you hand a lawyer $400 and ask him to write the sun a C&D letter because it wakes you up every morning, they'll do it. Ask them to bring legal action for the same reason an they'll laugh in your face. Unless the comments were absolutely outrageous I do not think it is likely that legal action would ever have been taken against that board. Not in Canada anyway.

Jvision was that suit brought in the US or the UK by any chance?

I think bcaquaria has a good system going with the seller feedback, it's similar to the link I provided in the other thread. We should get one thing going at a time.

Edited by midgetwaiter

Ask them to bring legal action for the same reason an they'll laugh in your face. Unless the comments were absolutely outrageous I do not think it is likely that legal action would ever have been taken against that board. Not in Canada anyway.

No disrespect intended, but you obviously haven't dealt with many lawyers.

There are scads of lawyers that are ready & willing to take on cases, whether they feel there's any chance of winning the action, or not. Not to mention that many cases can drag out for years, and it might be 2-3 yrs into a case before the lawyer starts having serious doubts as to how 'winnable' the action may be. Been there, done that, and have the bills to prove it.

While the probability of legal action may be low, it's always a possibilty.

No disrespect intended, but you obviously haven't dealt with many lawyers. 

I wish this were true.

Like you said you can never completely eliminate the possibility of something like this but I think you can manage it to the point that it is nothing to sweat over. You want to annoy a lawyer bringing a suit like that? Act as your own counsel, the court bends over backwards to assist you. No lawyer wants to face that.

Crossing the street is a risk but you still do it.

EDIT

Now that I have a chance to look, your own links back up my argument.

Read the bit about fair comment, if it's ture, it's true. Can't be libel.

Notice that cyberlibel even makes mention of the fact that there is no Canadian case law that supports the idea of a forum being sued due to the comments posted by it's members. The poster is libel, not the forum.

Edited by midgetwaiter

but I think you can manage it to the point that it is nothing to sweat over.

Agreed, it's just something that I never saw taking place here in the past, by admin, or the mods. Obviously the 'delete topic' button can solve almost any issue that pops up.

The bigger question is this...... how does "visual proof" play into all of this? Why should the standards for retailers, be any different than those for John & Jane Doe?