Would you like to see "Vendor Review" return?

Would you like to see Vendor Review return?  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Agreed, it's just something that I never saw taking place here in the past, by admin, or the mods. Obviously the 'delete topic' button can solve almost any issue that pops up.

Agreed. I would be willing to put my time into this as long as we could find a way to avoid the potential for people screaming "conflict of interest". I barely spend any time at Riverfront any more and would be willing to recuse myself from moderating those topics.

The bigger question is this...... how does "visual proof" play into all of this? Why should the standards for retailers, be any different than those for John & Jane Doe?

I get the impression that the "Visual Proof" idea was a reaction to a specific situation, we will have to see what Jay decides in the future. I would recommend that these be considered SEPERATE issues however. People will behave differently in private transactions, the options for redress are more limmited etc.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be willing to put my time into this as long as we could find a way to avoid the potential for people screaming "conflict of interest".

I personally think you'd be a great asset to the site in this regards, and by no means would I consider it a conflict of interest. Here's to hoping they can put you to work in the near future. ;)

Yes I would like it to return, perhaps if there are questionable postings about venders you could remove those, I believe that the advice and opinions of the members are of great help, to current members, new joining members and also to venders you care to improve their business by listening to the views of their customers. :rolleyes:

Nothing but trouble. The forum is a better place without an open invitation for criticism. It is difficult to qualify one store as better than another because "better" is subjective to the customer. Safer to let everyone make up their own mind without outside influences.

RD:I need visual proof because when people are asking me to take action against someone else about a personal problem they are having, i would like to know all the Facts.

You may want to jump to conclusions, but i do not.

Now is that good enough for you now?

If you have a problem with what i'am doing with the site use the P.M feature not a open forum. *Official warning*

Jvision was that suit brought in the US or the UK by any chance?

Of course, it was in the US. It wasn't just the site mod taken to task, either. It seemed it was a couple people who made certain comments, their closest friends, then anyone else who tried to comment about what was going on. It seemed so excessive to me!

I have not found vendor reviews (on this site) particularly helpful in the past. A person can not reflect their personal experience with any store if it is not in agreement with the vocal majority. People jump all over any review that may be negative to their favorite store. I got the feeling that only positive comments are accepted for certain businesses and only negative for others. All of this puts a cloud over any review IMO and basically makes it all meaningless and causes all kinds of trouble.

Ideally, a person should be able to clearly and concisely relate any feelings/dealings with any business...positive or negative. This is of course only 1 person's view...and someone that you don't likely know....and it should be treated as such. The people reading should understand that it is that person's opinion, maybe keep it in the back of their minds but by no means put complete stock in this opinion...until they find that true themselves. That is what would be of most help to others wanting a review of businesses.

I for one would like to have a little idea of what others found troublesome with a business and I would take a little of that info with me to any dealings with them. As well, I would like to know which businesses are recommended as well...keeping in mind that their positive review is no guarantee.

I think it is a good idea that the admin of this site have suspended vendor reviews. It was totally inefective for the purpose it was intended for. I highly doubt that a fair vendor review can be done in this type of forum. Face-to-face discussion with people you know and trust would far better serve anyone wanting an unbiased opinion of vendors.

oops, forgot to add....

If vendor reviews were reinstated, replys should not be allowed. Perhpas the business would be allowed to respond. That way the review is written. Members can take from it what they wish. No on else can put their 2 cents in and the person making the review doesn't have to worry about being trashed for voiceing their opinion.

I would just like to publically state something here if you don't mind.

In regards to the "issue" that brought up this investigation, I hope that can be solved one way or the other. It was not my intent to start too much trouble on it, but rather bring the sit. to light for everyone. So yeah-perhaps PMs. may have been a better solution. But as a member, I appreciate reading the facts of the matter on some dealings; pms. don't allow for that.

I as well appreciate all the offered help I have recieved behind the scenes to get the situation dealt with. Not only Mods. and Admin. but other members as well-thank you.

The member that tops the list would be RD. I don't think that Neil was trying to "stir the pot" by questioning "visual proof", but rather trying to understand how that is achieved, and what all is required.

So, in some ways-maybe we all read between the lines here. It is easily done-without talking to someone directly, posts can be mis-read. It is unfortunate, and I can understand where this could happen-but in all honesty here-if Neil gets a warning, for the record-set me up with one as well! :thumbs:

I am not trying to start problems, and I am not angry with this site, or any of the members, mods. or admin. I just think we should set the record straight here-as I believe it was my issue that got the ball rolling so-to-speak, and am more than willing to take responsibility to that.

Thank you.

I think the one thing to keep in mind is that due to everything combined lately, J-ROC has decided to take things on his website in a different direction. I don't see this as a rash decision that has been made overnight, but rather one that has ben coming for some time. In other words, I don't believe there was one single incident, but rather a culmination of events since the beginning of the website that came to a close.

While we all have thoughts and opinions on what that direction may be, as the owner of the site that is his choice to make. I think we should sit back and let him make these changes, and wait for the results. :)

Hmmm...seems that the above reply was taken the wrong way. Please don't take it to mean that your suggestions were completely unwelcome and that we do not want to hear from members. In hindsight, I guess I should have thanked everyone for their suggestions before making the above reply.

So......thanks to all. B)

I just wanted to comment, someone said that a retailer was going to sue some guy who ran some BC forum. That seems highly unlikely to me. A bunch of people on a public message board complaining about a crappy store is not illegal.

There tons of webpages out on the net dedicated to slandering big businesses, and they're not sued. It is in every right of anyone to complain about a company on the internet all they want.

Especially if all the allegations are true.

-Hideo

How about a section where a mod/admin can post all of the LFS by name (if any are missed I am sure the members can help fill them in). Should a forum member have a good/great/awesome compliment or customer service story, they can post it. The LFS with no posts will be obviously, well you know (stay at the bottom). The great stores should stay at the top of the list due to the amount of posts. Sometimes saying nothing at all speaks more than words. Just a suggestion that would have no legal drawbacks.

Or as I said vote on a lfs from good to terrible. If the majority of votes are good then it is probably a good place to go. If terrible, well you know. Given we all only have one vote the results shouldn't be very skewed. Personally I like to hear the horror stories of others, I think if someone was pulling a story out of his pooper he or she would probably be found out in short order. JMO JMO