Light Hours

fatpuffer

No more than 12 hours on the planted tank. I recently went to 10 hours on the planted tank you saw in my basement. With that change, the crypts have taken off, but the red tiger lotus is not doing as well. I have never seen an article on it, but it may be that it depends on the plants you keep.

I hope I am not jacking your thread, I would like to hear what everyone thinks of this?

Kevin

A related question that I have after reading the responses here - why only 10-12hrs? (no hijack intended)

I have absolutely no experience with planted tanks so it seems odd to me that cutting down on the window of light hours would help a plant. Is there something going on during the night (dark) that I am missing? :shifty:

I am starting up a paludarium right now and currently my timer is set up for 16 hrs (low wattage I should add) - too much maybe?

A related question that I have after reading the responses here - why only 10-12hrs?

The answer is rather simple ... This is how long plants photosynthesize ... Any photoperiod longer than that is not beneficial to them, which can not be said for algae.

Another note .. If plants do not recieve light of adequate intensity, you CAN NOT compensate that with prolonged photoperiod.

The answer is rather simple ... This is how long plants photosynthesize ... Any photoperiod longer than that is not beneficial to them, which can not be said for algae.

Another note .. If plants do not recieve light of adequate intensity, you CAN NOT compensate that with prolonged photoperiod.

Good to know - thanks

However a follow up - if algae has not (yet at least) been a problem - is there an issue with leaving the lights on for extended periods of time?