DIY rain machine

FishBrain

So I built this little rain maker out of some simple supplies for my frogs. It will filter the water and cycle it back in from the top. A little helper to tell them that spring is here and its time to get it on!!

Supplies Needed:

Powerhead ( I am using a fluval 1+ because I dont need theat much pressure)

flexible Tubing (sized to fit over the output of the powerhead)

Zip Ties

TOOLS:

Small Drill bit(the size that you want the hole in your tubing to be)

Scissors

1: Cut the tubing to size. Measured from the end of the powerhead and wrapped up the side and along the top.

2: Drill holes into tubing on the inside of the roll as it naturally bends. This is to allow for easier shaping when securing the tube to the lid. The holes should only go as far as the length that runs along the top of the cover.

3: Attatch end of hose farthest from the holes to the end of the power head. I chose to zip tie it on so it doesn't slip off.

4: Place zip ties into holes in the mesh cover, and Secure hose loosely onto lid.

5: Block end of hose that is not connected to the powerhead. I chose to fold the hose over and zip tie it.

6: Place the cover on the aquarium and select position of powerhead under the water.

7: Tightly secure hose to the cover with the zip ties, and cut remaining off.

8: Plug in power head and VOILA you made rain.

I know it isn't well hidden in this tank but this is a temp setup

PICT1171.jpg

PICT1172.jpg

PICT1177.jpg

PICT1178.jpg

PICT1179.jpg

PICT1176.jpg

PICT1180.jpg

Edited by Canadbis

And do you have to have pink sissors, I only have manly black ones.

LMAO@ HOSStile....

I think they have to be Crayola brand scissors also....LOL!

Really cool idea but how do you get the excess water out of the tank after the monsoons?

Just curious. :eh:

I have essentialy the same thing going in an exoterra terrarium I built a little sump into.

A couple suggestions, first to block the end you can get a PVC plug from home depot for less than a buck.

If you are looking for a timer try a globe brand (London Drugs), they have little push down tabs so you can switch them in 15 minute intervals.

If you end up switching on and off regularly you may want to investigate pump choices. I know that most manufacturers do not recomend their pumps in those situations, the on/off switching burns them out. It would be worth checking with Hagen about this powerhead. Marineland claims that Maxi-Jet powerheads can handle that kind of switching, lots of people use them for top offs and wavemakers.

Sorry it took so long for the answers things are a little"crazy" here.

Cool idea Mathew. But, whats the Cheerio for?

That Cheerio is to help keep the little hands away from the tools. :D

What critters call this home??

A happy pair of Fire Belly Toads

And do you have to have pink scissors

No, but anyone who has a daughter has a pair of pink scissors. That, and its easier to find theirs than mine :D

Really cool idea but how do you get the excess water out of the tank after the monsoons?

It is a recycling system, the water is pumped from inside the tank to the top so it can rain back down. :D

first to block the end you can get a PVC plug from home depot for less than a buck.

I couldn't find one at the time and wanted it built right away, but I do plan on getting one when I put it into the 20G,and thanks for the heads up on the timer.

If you end up switching on and off regularly you may want to investigate pump choices

Its an old one that I have had around for a while so I dont mind if I burn it out