CO2 Jello recipies

Cheese

I'm making a DIY CO2 reactor using a pop bottle, and was wondering if anyone has a really good recipie for it? I've tried the Jello one before, and it worked good, but not for long. Perhaps there was something not right with my recipie...?

The recipe I use is for a 4l jug(a cranberry juice jug). I put 4cups sugar, 1/2tsp brewer's yeast and fill it warm water to the point on the jug where the neck starts to narrow.

This recipe usually last about 3 weeks before it starts to really slow down.

I've never tried the jello one.

To keep the acidity down, you can add a bit of Baking Soda - it helps to keep things going a bit longer. I can make one of those little Hagen jugs last 2 weeks!

Plants use Carbon to grow. CO2 is one of the easiest way, and probably the cheepest way for us to feed our plants.

As you learn about growing plants, you'll hear about MACROnutrients and MICROnutrients. Plants need macronutrients in a bundance when given enough light (in aquariums, that's when you get close to and over 2 watts of flourescent light per gallon of water), and need micronutrients in small amounts.

When you don't have a lot of light, plants don't need a lot of nutrients to grow - tap water usually supplies enough. But, when you have more light, the plants need more nutrients, so we have to add it to the tank.

Macros are (N)itrogen, potassium(K), (P)hosphorus, and ©arbon (supplied as Carbon Dioxide).

Micros include iron(Fe) and a whole slew of other ions - but Fe is the easiest to measure.

Edited by jvision

I appologise for hijacking on this thread but what is the cost difference of home made as far as store bought refill price?

For me, it is the convience of doing it at home with stuff I already have, rather than going out to the store to buy a refill pack.

This is a recipie that I was given by a friend...

• 6 oz pack of Jello

• 2 cups sugar

• 2 cups boiling water

Dissolve sugar & Jello, then add

• 1 cup cold water

Let set overnight, then add

• 1/2 cup lukewarm water

• 1/2 tsp Active Dry Yeast

I'll see how long it works for my tank.

I bought a couple of the Hagen kits a few years ago - right around when they 1st came out. That was the last time I bought the "refill" - it's usually quite a bit cheeper to go DIY.

• 5 weeks later...

I think cost would be not that different on say a 10 gallon tank, I split my CO2 with a diverter to a 10 gallon nursery and a 55 gallon planted so I would say I get much less out of My mix, about 1 1/2 weeks. With the hagen one I got around two weeks on the mix but it wouldn't create enough CO2 for My 55, I would likely need 3 of them. Never tried the jello but I have been happy with adding feed corn to the original mix as it forments it gives me extra gas, aside from that I would stick to the original formula. The biggest difference I have found was the brewers yeast vs baking yeast, you definitely get more bubbles out of the brewers by far.

• 7 months later...
Never tried the jello but I have been happy with adding feed corn to the original mix as it forments it gives me extra gas

And a bonus to this is Jack Daniels :thumbs:

Edited by Sam Chicklets

I use brewers yeast sometimes(stolen from my dad's wine/beer making stash). I didn't noticed much of a difference. Both brewers yeast and the baking yeast last about 3 weeks. The brewers yeast's output was a bit more consistant. it didn't weaken too much as the weeks went on.

Not sure about price though. I would assume it would be more expensive. Probably not really worth it as IME both pretty much preform the same.

I use brewers yeast sometimes(stolen from my dad's wine/beer making stash). I didn't noticed much of a difference. Both brewers yeast and the baking yeast last about 3 weeks. The brewers yeast's output was a bit more consistant. it didn't weaken too much as the weeks went on.

Not sure about price though. I would assume it would be more expensive. Probably not really worth it as IME both pretty much preform the same.

Brewers yeast or a cannibalistic champagne yeast will produce longer than an active baking type of yeast as these yeast strains have a much higher tolerance to ethyl alcohol. It is the alcohol content that eventually terminates the fermentation as a result of the yeast being killed off by the alcohol. As noted above, these yeast may be purchased at a wine or beer making store. I have also seen Brewers yeast in grocery stores, this would clearly be a lower cost than the wine and beer stores. It is also a good idea to "start" the yeast before dumping it into the fermenter. Simply put about 4 oz's of water at between 100 and 110" F in a warm glass, add 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar and mix well. Float the yeast on the surface. In a few minutes the yeast will sink to the bottom. Stir gently and wait until it builds a head. Stir gently again and put in the fermenter. This will likely speed up the production of CO2 and you will also know if your yeast is active BEFORE it gets into your fermenter.

Vic