which brand of heater would you recommend?

k9outfit

After almost having made fish soup out of yet another tankfull of fish, I'm in search of another brand of reliable heater. This was the 6th heater of the same brand gone wonky on me now :grr: ; the water had reached 93 degrees F. by the time I noticed the malfunction - the heater was around 3 months old. At least this time though, there were no casualties. Regardless, I no longer trust this brand and am looking for an alternative. Any suggestions?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most of my tanks have Ebo-jager heaters and I haven't had any problems with them. But lately I've bought some Stealth heeaters and I prefer them. I haven't had them more then a couple months so i'm not sure of their durability but I like that they are plastic(or plastic coated?) and black. Much easier to hide them in the tank.

Sorry to hear about your heater malfunction. I had a couple tank cook last year. Those tanks were using thermal compact heaters :(

At one time I swore by ebo's, but it seems that they have had a fair number of problems since Eheim took them over. My current choice of heater, Visitherm Stealth.

edited to add, on my show tank I run both heaters through a controller unit. Unless both units fail, no worries about boiled fish syndrome.

Edited by RD.

I've been running 3 Stealths on 3 different tanks for months and haven't had any problems. I like that they're black and durable. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me is that they don't have an indicator light to let you know they're on but the temp dial is bright red. Why not have a light that comes on once in a while and make the dial black - I think we would be able to find it.

I've got 60+ tanks, and I heat them all, so here goes.... As good

as EBO is, I really do like them, but I"ve got what seems like a

disproportionate number of totally dead ones hanging around.

Stealth is good, but one alot overlook is RenaCal. I've got a

few and if it weren't for my budget being so dang tight I'd

probably buy more of them. I have mostly Penn-Plax

thermatec submersibles, and despite their cheap price, they

work better than the Elites I have. I have a few other oddballs,

Neptune, Marineland, Guardian etc. I prefer submersible just

because of the safety issues with water, but the non-sub ones

I have(Elite) work really well and I don't have any problems

with temps all over the place.

Thanks for all the input peoples! :bow: So, guess I'll go for the Stealth heaters.

Also, while we're on the subject, what whould be considered an "acceptable" temperature fluctuation (ie water temp. at which heater turns on to water temp. when it shuts off)? For African cichlids - if the species is relevant?