Weird Question...

shannabel

Is any one else on this board allergic to blood worms? I am! Those darn things give me the itchiest eyes and they will swell shut if I scratch them to much! I had my doctor stumped for the longest time he could not figure out why my eyes were so swollen, red and hot. Tried every eye drop in the book. Finally after a month I figured out why. It was from the blood worms. Stupid things!! :tongue: So fish no longer get a blood worm treat!!

Shannon S

I know of 2-3 CAS members, and a couple of Riverfront employees that are, ranging from moderately to severely allergic.....fortunately, I am not one of them...yet (bloodworm allergies are often spontaneously occurring in people that have handled them with no issues for years).

bloodworm allergies are often spontaneously occurring in people that have handled them with no issues for years

OMG! Would allergies come from live, frozen, freeze dried or all of the above? Never knew of this allergy :cry: That is terrible.

Edited by TheGr8Blade

OMG! Would allergies come from live, frozen, freeze dried or all of the above?

All of the above, with the freeze dried being the worse due to the fine dust that comes off of them. If you breathe it in, you increase the risk for a potential reaction. Frozen is probably the safest way to go, simply don't touch it with your hands, and wash up after feeding.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...em.php?news=917

It's uncommon, but certainly not 'rare' as stated in the article above. I know a number of people who have become allergic to bloodworms, and a google search should give you plenty of info on this subject.

Is any one else on this board allergic to blood worms?

I am- I also get the itchy eyes and throat. I also find that my skin gets itchy if I stick my arm in the tank soon after using them. As a result, I try not to feed them very often. When I do, I hold my breath, sprinkle them directly from the container, and then wash my hands right after- seems to work.

I know of quite a few Petland employees that are to varying degrees, myself included. Makes my eyes swell up like crazy. One time, being an idiot, i rubbed my eye without washing my hands. I was bloodshot for a good 3 days.

I imagine it's more common than people realize, how many people are in direct contact with bloodworm anways.

I used to be alergic quite badly. It subsided as I grew older, but I haven't touch the things in a few years, now. Too many other good foods out there.

The reaction seems to be worst with the frozen, but people with allergies need to be tres careful around the freeze-dried, as bloodworm 'dust' can be easily kicked up and inhaled during handling.

I have seen varying degrees of reaction, from slightly itchy eyes to near anaphylaxis...and an individual's reactions tend to worsen with each subsequent contact, so this is a serious issue for those affected.