Free fish

Kevin

This is based on a post for free discus in the buy sell today. I would like to hear others view points.

I was really afraid when I saw all the people jumping at a "free" fish that is normally expensive. Great that the seller is responsible and that $ was not the motivating factor.

Discus, the free fish in this case, take alot of work and the cost - even at $50 a fish - is nothing compared to the time that they take to make them thrive. They require daily water changes (3 times a week at the least) and they don't do well as grow outs (assuming these fish were under 5 inches) unless they are in a group of at least 6-8.

My point of view is, next time you see an add for a free fish please do a little research and ensure you are up to taking care of it. If you have doubts about your motivation to get a free fish, please think about the last time you jumped to spend $5 on another members fish or would you pay market rate for that fish today. If you would not, then don't go after it.

I am not attacking any individual poster, I would just like to start a discussion on this. It drives me crazy every time I see mob of people who go after anything that is free, when even a $5 price would dissuade them.

Kevin

Edited by Kevin

Personally I don't see the problem of people going after a free item, unless they are SURE they cannot take care of it. I would never have gotten into saltwater eels unless I jumped on a free one that I saw someone giving away.

If you are a complete beginner, I can see a problem, but most people with some experience should be able to exercise some good judgement on a free item.

I don't see a problem the add said TO A GOOD HOME I think the majority of people on this site (at least everybody I've met) are responsible.Would it have been better if the advertizer had sold them for 2 bucks?

I love the word "FREE" and who doesn't. I responded quite quickly to the post this morning also but not for myself. I know at this time I am not "fish skilled" enough to care for a discus or two. Mind you if someone posted they had a bag of free convicts I probably would have jumped at it LOL(no, not really but you get my point). I think the person giving away the fish would use good judgement and not give the fish away to someone who they felt had no skill. I think it was very generous offer the member made, most wouldn't. I think he/her should be congratulated on making a "caring" post.

She/he felt they couldn't care for the fish properly any longer so decided to give them to a good home rather than gain financially.

And that is my honest opinion. :bow:

I love the word "FREE" and who doesn't. I responded quite quickly to the post this morning also but not for myself. I know at this time I am not "fish skilled" enough to care for a discus or two. Mind you if someone posted they had a bag of free convicts I probably would have jumped at it LOL(no, not really but you get my point). I think the person giving away the fish would use good judgement and not give the fish away to someone who they felt had no skill. I think it was very generous offer the member made, most wouldn't. I think he/her should be congratulated on making a "caring" post.

She/he felt they couldn't care for the fish properly any longer so decided to give them to a good home rather than gain financially.

And that is my honest opinion. :bow:

I don't disagree with you regarding the caring seller, the problem I have is with the high rate of response that "free" adds get. If you don't believe me, look at how many more views this post is getting than the one that was posted before it or after it.

If someone is walking in a mall and someone offers that person an icecream for free, they probably take it. If it doesn't work out, there is a trash can down the way. If someone offers you a free fish... not everyone thinks about whether they can take care of it or not. There are plenty of responsible fish keepers on this forum, but there are also new aquarists or irresponsible aquarists who think that the discus may fit in just fine with the convicts they got last week for free. I just wanted to provoke some thought so that people think a little more before they jump at free.

I would like to see the "good home" caveat go with any free fish. So instead of the first post getting the fish, they go to the most qualified post, deciding that is up to the seller.

Kevin

Worst case senario:.... they kill a few fish they've always wanted to try. They learn from it and move on. Besides they have the forum as a support group to offer any help that may be required. If I hadn't killed a few along the way I would've never learned as much as I have . Most of the fish that died in my care were pre-AA and pre-computer. You can't blame them because we're trained that when oppurtunity knocks you answer the door. They're no different than the the guy who buys a $1000 stingray because it's cool and has no idea how to care for it. Lessons can be very expensive or they can be free.

I don't disagree with you regarding the caring seller, the problem I have is with the high rate of response that "free" adds get. If you don't believe me, look at how many more views this post is getting than the one that was posted before it or after it.

If someone is walking in a mall and someone offers that person an icecream for free, they probably take it. If it doesn't work out, there is a trash can down the way. If someone offers you a free fish... not everyone thinks about whether they can take care of it or not. There are plenty of responsible fish keepers on this forum, but there are also new aquarists or irresponsible aquarists who think that the discus may fit in just fine with the convicts they got last week for free. I just wanted to provoke some thought so that people think a little more before they jump at free.

I would like to see the "good home" caveat go with any free fish. So instead of the first post getting the fish, they go to the most qualified post, deciding that is up to the seller.

Kevin

First off.. i'd like to say thanks a lot to Lorenzo.. fish are doing great.

Secondly... We were already dealing with him on another purchase and already had arrangements to meet. The post for the fish just happened to hit at the right time. As far as "good home" and going to the most qualified post.... This time it happens that my daughter raises discus and so might be a little more qualified than the average fish person, but, I could just as easily been lying completely. So, unless you know the buyer personally or are willing to follow them home, the most qualified post might only be the best liar on the forum.

As far as the HIGH rate of response.. I just don't see it. The discus post had 142 views and 10 responses in roughly half a day ( two responses kevins and dunls, i'm not sure count). The post for super red arowana ( a $1750 fish) had 136 views and 3 responses in roughly a day more. In fact, this post had 79 views and 6 (not counting this one) responses in just under 4 hours. All this proves is that too many ppl here might have too much time on their hands.

As far as free... anyone who has spent an hour or so driving through Calgary traffic knows just how much free can end up costing...

thats just my two cents worth.... and for this post only... it's FREE

Fred

I am glad some people have too many fish or change their interests, this way people like me can try new fish and broaden my horizons. It was "free convicts" that led me to try cichlids. From there I've now got africans, south american and new worlds in my various tanks. "Free chocolate cichlids", who new they existed? , but now I have them and LOVE them. "Free bumble bee", he's one of my favourites! He chucks pebles at the glass if I haven't fed him soon enough. As for responding quickly.... if you are not fast enough, you lose out on a great oppertunity. I personally did not respond to the free discus, only because I'm not ready for that type of relationship, lol. (read commitment). I am not that far from responding to "free coral" or "free live rock/sand". In a year or two I think I will want to try marine. Until then KEEP POSTING FREEBIES!!!!!! And thank you for the chance to give it a shot. Sue

I had a friend who moved from here to Medicine Hat on a sudden career oportunity and rather submit his fish to a move like that in 30+ degree weather he gave them away to people he knew. I received a breeding pair of Fuelleborni from him. You always see adds for free to good home for other animals, and some can be quite expensive or exotic pets as well. So what's the real difference between say Chinchillas and fish? They are both Pets.

I think most people think about how they would care for a new fish weather free or not. But I do agree that most people would do a little homework first if they are going to be dishing out a lot of money on a fish.

I did see the post right after he posted it, I thought it would be the perfect time to jump on it, I have a little knowledge of Discus, I want to learn more about them, and possibly one day keep them.

However, I know enough that they need some very specific care, and I do not have the setup for them at this point, so I passed.

Honestly, I would rather see a fish given away free to an inexperienced fishkeeper, than have that same fishkeeper buy the same thing for $200 at a big box store.

What's the difference in what is going to happen to the fish, except the price?

I think he or she should have asked a price for Discus so that people wouldn't get them on impulse. I have 10 discus now and would agree they are not for everyone. I wish I would have been in time for the free fish though. :( A few of you know that I gave a lot of fish away lately, and I agree, you get a lot more response for free than even asking a couple of bucks for a fish that would sell for a lot more at an LFS. I tell you though I had to tell more than a few people to get stuffed when they wanted to mix Africans with gold fish, or wanting to start a first time tank with all the fish you were willing to give them. Oh and so no one gets mad, that was when I posted in the Used Calgary site. :D

Edited by HOSStile

I've seen a lot of free things in my time, and if they are worth something, I take them and sell them right away.

A lot of the time it's simply knowing who would pay money for it.

I'd take any free fish I know I could sell to someone else in a timely fashion.

In fact, there are people who make a living doing this kind of thing! (I think someone on these forums was even talking about doing that a lot, dunl maybe?)

I used to do it on ebay, but was too time consuming.

And on the topic of free animals, I always feel that charging money for what it is worth is a better way of finding the proper home. Offering it up free is just going to get people telling you what you want to hear. "I want this fish to have a good home, do you have fish keeping experience?" to which you'll get, "Oh, loads". Especially considering it's likely that if something like a fish is going for free on the buysell it's not someone who knows a lot of fish (or fish people) otherwise I doubt they'd have trouble finding a good home at all. So it's entirely likely the fish will end up in someone's tank that knew as little about it as the person giving it away.

I've taken in animals before that have had 5 or more owners. Ridiculous!

I put absolutely 0 stock in "to a good home", unless they person intends to come to your house and check it out. That's not likely. I've picked up many "to a good home" animals and they don't ask me any questions whatsoever. They're probably just happy to finally be rid of it.

Sad but true.

-Hideo

Profit,Profit ,Profit,sweet that's why I work. Some people still consider this a hobby and are not concerned whether they make 8.00 of a fish Too take a free item that was advertised to a good home and then sell it for profit is wrong .

Edited by dunl