better post this here....

dunl

Instead of getting slayed at canreef.com.

I've always wanted to do a cold saltwater lobster,clam, musself, oyster Atlantic biotype tank. Is it possible to do this in a colder room without a chiller?

I think that a chiller will still be needed, even in a cool room it can still get a little too warm for a cold water tank.

Brad

Here's a wild thought....what if it was plumbed some way to an outside window?

I think that a chiller will still be needed, even in a cool room it can still get a little too warm for a cold water tank.

Brad

Here's a wild thought....what if it was plumbed some way to an outside window?

That would work in the winter but I was thinking more summer.

Brad

That would be fine for the winter; but, it'd be disasterous in the summer. I'm thinking that if you want a Canadian, or even Northern US tank, you'll still need a chiller. The oceanic temperature is usually quite low consistantly.

I've heard of a couple people doing this...hope i remember this right...

The mini fridges couldnt keep up on anything larger, and they needed huge coils inside, and most just ended up going to a chiller anyway. I think somebody set a manifold up to use cold city water coming into their house, but it was less than reliable.

And lobsters are poop machines when they're actually fed.

I've heard of a couple people doing this...hope i remember this right...

The mini fridges couldnt keep up on anything larger, and they needed huge coils inside, and most just ended up going to a chiller anyway. I think somebody set a manifold up to use cold city water coming into their house, but it was less than reliable.

And lobsters are poop machines when they're actually fed.

What about a deep freezer?

Brad

Edited by snaggle

Here's an idea. See what temp the water will be in the room you are going to keep it and then research what sea creatures you can keep under those conditions. Keep in mind that pumps and lights will warm your tank too.

In my basement the tank will drop to 69-70 without my heater, but that is also without my halides.

Edited by DZ Reefer

Must have missed something in some edited posts here (sarcastic?), but anyways...

I was thinking of just a winter only tank, as I know it would be impossible to maintain in the summer without a chiller. Another idea would be to put it in the unheated garage with just enough of a heater to keep it from freezing.

As for the high waste, I was thinking maybe a 75 with a 50g sump.

Anf I'm not sure about them eating the shellfish, but at a dollar-something a piece, I could afford that. :)