150 Gallon Blowout

Pier Pressure

Hi, all. So when we got home from work our 150 gallon freshwater aquarium had sprung a leak and has now been emptied. We think that it is on a seam, but the huge question is what do we do with all the livestock that was contained in the 150? We have everyone stuffed into a 33 gallon that is overfiltered but not to that extent. By the way, the tank is two years old, bought at PetSmart, and has a lifetime warranty. Hope I can find the receipt. What can I do to ensure the fish stay healthy? Any tips or tricks on tank blow outs?

Thanks for any advice you may have. At this point I feel like burning the place to the ground and starting over. :cry:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sooner you can get a replacement tank the better. If you could use one or two more tanks to hold your fish while they are out of there main tank. You could also see if there is someone with some room in there fish room to hold your fish.

Hope this works out for you.

Brad

So sorry to hear about this.... I had a 58 blow a seam back in June.. It is not fun. I think your best off replacing with same or bigger size. I did the shuffle around for a while and thinking back to it I probably should have just gone out and got the same sized tank and been done with it.

Moose

and if there is any carpet involved grab some vinegar. I spend days getting fish smell out of the carpet... Get dry fast if you can...

Thanks, guys.

We will contact PetSmart and see about warranty on the tank. Two years old and leaking is unbelievable. I just have to see if I can find the damn receipt for the thing.

I think the crew is doing okay in the 33 at least overnight. Nobody seems overly stressed hours later. I am not going to feed them to try to keep levels down.

On the upswing, Connie, the salt tank is fine - except maybe for the trauma suffered by the fish as they watched the levels of water in the 150 drop!

Anyway, back to disasterland. The basement is mostly tiled so no permanant damage I have found so far. Furniture is okay. I shall keep you updated!

Thanks a lot, Trooper. We will keep that in mind. Hopefully we can just replace the tank tomorrow. You were just posting as I was writing that last one!

Don't feed them!

They'll be fine w/o food for a few days. This will help keep waste levels to a minimum.

If you have problems with your fish you could use plastic 20g tubs from Walmart as temporary holding facilities

I contacted PetSmart via email this morning and will see what they say. I cannot find the ##@%$$ receipt for the tank, but I know the approximate date of purchase and it is a custom Top Fin that only PetSmart makes so I shall see what they say.

Man, I am exhausted. Up most of the night cleaning up the mess. You have never seen the nightmare of this hobby until a tank blows up, and when it is 150 gallons, well, you do not want to even imagine!

I will keep you updated. I find the support on this forum to be awesome! Thanks everyone.

Are you a PetSmart member? If you are and were at the time of purchase they will have it on file.

Well, I contacted PetSmart and though I am not a member they told me as long as it is one of their Top Fin tanks it is covered under a lifetime warranty even without having the receipt! How cool is that?

Now the problem I have is finding someone to move the old tank out and the new tank in as the sucker is a couple hundred pounds and Rod got into a car accident earlier this year and his back is messed up.

Is there a service or something I can pay to take the old tank in and deliver the new one? When I called PetSmart they told me to call back in the morning and talk to the manager, but that they do not normally do any type of delivery.

On the upswing the "bio load" seems to be doing okay in the over-filtered 33 gallon. I did not feed and I will not feed until I get this tank thing straightened out.

And then what about cycling? I do not want to put my F1 electric yellows through a cycle!

Thank you for any and all advice. This forum rocks.

There must be someone on this forum from Calgary with a truck or van willing to help out.

It is really hard to find help during the busy Christmas season. I am hoping I can arrange something through PetSmart as a two year old tank has no business springing a leak!

We did not transfer our filters to the 33 gallon as that would cause a title wave. We have a very well established Rena XP3 on the 33 and lots of mature gravel. The gravel in the 150 gallon is still wet and the filters are full, so if we can get this transferred today I am hopeful we will be okay.

I will keep you updated regarding having the tank delivered. Thanks again for all your comments!

Hey Karen, so sorry to hear about your tank!

The gravel in the 150 gallon is still wet and the filters are full, so if we can get this transferred today I am hopeful we will be okay.

Once 02 is no longer available to the bacteria in your filters they begin to die off, and become toxic.

I would strongly recommend rinsing your filter media before firing up those filters on your new tank.