Piranha Compatibilty

drunkendj

It would depend on the type of piranha, but I would strongly say don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe for a while... but not long term. Piranha have a habit of eating their tank mates , even other piranha. I had 5 around the 8 inch mark in a 120 gal for close to a year. Then in a matter of 30 seconds or so, I had 4 and one with the back end gone. I had to put that one down. Right now, I have one in a qt tank with a one inch bite out of it's side. So, I'd say any fish I cared about, I wouldn't put in with a piranha. Although, you never know, the two oscars might take out a solitary piranha. Either way though, you'd be out a fish.

I have a friend that kept 2 adult RBPs with an adult wild-caught oscar... in that tank, the oscar was boss.

as long as the rbps are well fed they wont kill. i had the Oscar and a couple of plecos with them. they never killed. scince the oscar has an eye spot the rbps are confused as to which side to hit. rbps usually attack from behind. plecos have the hard armor and the rbps seem to have understanded that. had the occasional ripped fin but all in all it was all good.

the feeding well isnt completely true. Williewonka does feed his piranhas well.

I thought the same thing. Until i saw the violent attack of the one piranha that he talked about.

I literally screamed. in less then a few seconds half his body was gone.

i would think that its kind of like you never know.

They could be fine. They could not be fine.

If you want to take that chance.

I have a 7" redbelly in a 33 gallon. He has a 4" convict for a tankmate. He has survivrd many vicious attacks but since then he has healed well and knows his limits and knows where to hide. The tank is very full with live and plastic plants and ornaments this gives him lots of area to hide. But I do agree with other posts, that he may one day become a victum.

they aren't compatible with light lol. skittish

some rbp' i'm trying to sell have lived with a pleco for one year + without a bite.

i've seen oscar tankmates in online feeding vids. they must eat hearty.

and i'm certain a variety of fishes can just snap on each other.

When I had rbps I bought a bunch of feeder goldfish at the same time. In with the goldfish was a jewel cichlid. The rbps were fry and all the feeders were about the same size. As the rbps grew so did the cichlid.

They lived for about 5 years together. Then one day I came in the house and all that was left was the jewels head. So it is possible to keep some things with rbps, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Brad

When I had rbps I bought a bunch of feeder goldfish at the same time. In with the goldfish was a jewel cichlid. The rbps were fry and all the feeders were about the same size. As the rbps grew so did the cichlid.

They lived for about 5 years together. Then one day I came in the house and all that was left was the jewels head. So it is possible to keep some things with rbps, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Brad

Sort of what I was trying to say. I had two breeding pairs in the tank and no injuries while they were breeding but one day boom...The fifth one was gone. I also have a pleco in with them for almost a year and they don't seem to bother it, but, I'm pretty sure that it will one day be food also.

Fred

I thought the same thing. Until i saw the violent attack of the one piranha that he talked about.

i kept these guys well fed and i would put my hands in the water. the never seem to even try to attack..

i kept these guys well fed and i would put my hands in the water. the never seem to even try to attack..

I fed these guys all they wanted daily too. And, being so skittish, I have no problem putting my hand in the tank with them anytime (although I'm hesitant to do it with the elong). I'm just saying that I wouldn't put any fish that I really cared about keeping in with them. After what they did the last time I increased the temperature to let them breed, I'm not sure I want to let them do it again. Even though, all last summer two pairs were nesting on average twice a week for 4 or 5 months with no problems. Not even fin nips. But, I guess all fish, like people, are different and yours were compatible. He might be lucky too, and have it last.

My nephew, in Chase, B.C., had 19 red bellied piranhas in a 400 gallon tank. He was late getting back from Kamloops one day and missed their feeding time and there were only 18 live piranhas and one head.

I had 6 RBP's years ago and raised them from little 1"ers to @ 10". I had them in with some angels and some plecos and no problems. What I found was that these fish being from the Amazon River can pretty much get along with other fish from the same river. They just didn't dash around crazily attacking everything in sight. In the wild they can be in great concentrations with other fish and what generally triggers attacks is odd behaviour, like being sick or wounded. They are part of nature's clean up crew and they carry out their assignment well. They don't neccasarily eat every day in the wild and if you don't keep them on a regular schedule they won't expect food every day at the same time. I have also always had a fasting day off a week and sometimes two for all my fish and it doesn't hurt them in the least.

RBP's tend to be voracious eaters when they start in on something and won't stop until it's gone and that's when the accidents happen. To see how fast their mouths open and close when feeding is something to behold and they are completely oblivious to what they are munching on - a true feeding frenzy. That is when a wound inflicted unintentionally on a tankmate just might keep that fenzy working a little longer than expected. I lost 2 of the 6 to just that. The wounds were so bad I had to finish them off. I always fed them at the far end of the tank with meat and the other tankmates just stayed out of the feeding area and avoided the potential mishaps.

Tank size is another factor - can't keep them in a small tank with other fish and expect no problems. Just like any other large predator they need their space and so do their other tankmates.

Very special and spectacular fish and I sometimes think about getting them again.