210 Gal tank Repair

JasonD

Hi All,

I picked up an Aquarium Illusions tank on the weekend out of usededmonton.com and need some opinions on the best way to proceed repairing it. Basically there is a crack in the bottom of the tank by the holes in the bottom of the overflow. I have basically come up with two ideas to repair it:

Option A - First off I have to cut the silicone holding in the overflow and then remove all the silicone on say 30" of the bottom of the tank. I was thinking I could then overlay a 30" piece of heavy plate glass and silicone it directly over top of the damaged area. It would have to be re drilled and the overflow cut down by 1/2" to accomidate the new layer of glass.

Option B - Is to do the same as above, but just lay a whole new piece of glass accross the bottom of the tank and re seal it. I would just put the new glass right over top of the existing (siliconed together). This option would add a lot more weight to the tank, but it is stinking heavy already so what's an extra 65lbs!!

Now cost isn't the issue here, my dad owns a glass shop and the replacement piece will be really cheap. Obviously option A is easier, but do you think it would stand up? Your opinions would be great!!

Jay

post-1727-1181927484_thumb.jpg

post-1727-1181927497_thumb.jpg

I would go with option B , The crack could logically continue to the edge under the strain of being filled with water. Edge to edge cover would negate the disaster if that should happen.

Edited by Qattarra

With option C I have to disassemble the entire tank and rebuild. Huge job. I just thought with option B it should have the structural integrity of the original tank without having to compromise every silicone joint on the tank. Maybe I'm wrong...

Jay

I'm with Sailor and option "C". Leon

personaly I would go with option c, flip the tank over and just remove/replace the bottom.

With option C I have to disassemble the entire tank and rebuild. Huge job. I just thought with option B it should have the structural integrity of the original tank without having to compromise every silicone joint on the tank. Maybe I'm wrong...

Jay

I'm with Sailor and option "C". Leon

Your only Question should be, "what is the cost of Peace of mind?"

do you repair it and come home a little while later because there is water all over and a hell of a lot work ahead of you?

Or do you just replace the entire tank?

Have you priced out the glass to repair against the new tank price?

When you do that remember to add in time and work. Also how much experience do you have in repairs.

I have a 100G corner bow that has a broken bottom. My choices are... 1 piece of glass on top of the bottom (fit entire tank) and pray.

Or get two pieces and "sandwich" them together on the bottom. (again full size of tank pieces) and then pray.

I found that the price of the glass + time + work does not equal peace of mind.

At the end of the day I want to come home and feed and look at the fish, not clean up because I thought I would save a few bucks!

My .02¢

EDIT: sorry if I come off strong that is just the type of person I am...this is a big tank we are talking about

Edited by FishBrain

I totally agree with you fishbrain - I've spent a lot of years working with glass and want to make sure it is a one-time fix. The tank has 1" fir plywood bottom, than the cracked glass. with fuly laminating a new layer of plate overtop of the damaged bottom piece of plate, there should be no reason to worry. The structural integrity of 1"plywood - 3/8" damaged plate - 3/8" new plate (With the two pieces of plate laminated together) would far exceed the integrity of just replacing the damaged piece alone. My theory for doing it this way is I will not be disturbing all the other silicone joints in the tank and should maintain more structural integrity. My theory at least!

Edited by JasonD