your insite on the best canister filter system

Lance

Just curious of what everyone thinks is the best canister filter system. Personaly I think Fluval is just all about its name. I kind of find Rena filstar system the XPes a better all along in design. So what are the pros 2 cents in the best filteration system??

I have 2 xp3s a magnum hot, and an ehiem knockoff, Ihave also had the magnum 350s and a fluval 304 in the past. For ease of service I find the xp3s the best. I have yet to try the fluval fx5 but it seems to be a great filter by member reviews

About 6 months ago I bought my first cannister a XP3 and I've been very pleased with it. Its really easy to disconnect and clean and provides lots of water movement in my 58g. Since I've only ever had this 1 cannister I can't really compare but the xp3 is a good filter for a decent price.

I have no experience with the FX5 I`ve heard good things about it. I`ve had a 403 and two 404s I wouldn`t even give them away. One actually was used for target practice. The other two went in the dumpster, they are a complete waste of plastic!!! I don`t have any experience with the others, all my tanks keep filling with salt so no need for a new canister.

I have 3 FX5,s running they are great need about 3 or 4 more.

Also have a XP4, it is also great.

Also have a 404 and and 403 Fluvals and not a bit of trouble, so they is great also.

Also have 8 AC,s of different sizes and they are also great.

Most filters these days are all good.

I had a fluval 404, and found it persnickety and a real pita. Once it got older it also started to leak and could not be fixed. The Rena's, I have the XP2 and XP3 and they are really easy to maintain and I have had no problems with them at all. The only thing I don't like about them is the manual sticking the water in the hose to get the siphon started. I tend to make a mess more often than not. Fortunately it does not usually lose it's siphon unless I drain the water past the input tube.

The FX5....well it is just so darn big. I found with ours that if you put filter floss type material in it, it invariably clogs and then stops working, which is very annoying, as floss or fine media can be so handy to polish up the water. For me personally it is difficult to want to maintain it just because it is such a lugger. That and I hate the screw in dealies on it. (lost a piece of one just recently and can I find a place to get a replacement? nooooooo)

Never used an eheim so I can't comment on them.