Choosing a new heater

Vallisneria

It seems I need to replace a couple heaters as they dont' seem to be working properly anymore(tanks at 71 and 74* but the heaters are on constantly).

Now here is my issue, last year I bought 4 Stealth heaters. So far 2 already dont' work. One is a 50w that is set to 80* but the tank was flucuating between 73 and 77* and the second is a 150w that is set to 82 but the tank is at 72*.

My third heater that needs to be replaced is my Ebo Jager 250w that I've had for 7 years and its just recently been showing problems(heater always on but the tank temp is only 74, it used to be 78*)

So what brand should I replace them with, Ebo jagers or Stealths or is there a better one? I've read Stealths are supposed to be one of the best but I haven't had a great experience with them. Ebo jagers used to be great heaters but I've read they aren't as good as they used to be back when I bought them originally.

So I just wanted to get some opinions before I go and spend a bunch of money buying new heaters. I dont' want to have to replace them again next year.

I have 12 Stealth heaters and no problems, some have been running for about a year and a half and some for almost a year. I also have a couple of Elite that I can not complain about. Then there are some misc petsmart brand ones still running but a few of those got stuck on max and ended up in the garbage.

Recently I have purchased I think 6 Cascade heaters from Natures Corner. They are cheap and I was a bit nervous but I have to say that after a few months I am quite pleased. Good accuracy and no hickups so far. I think the 100W is less than $30.

I have been hearing good things about the in line heaters. thinking of going that way myself.

I bought a Jager and I was disappointed to see that it really should not be totally submersed...

other than that, no complaints. Just FYI

I bought a Jager and I was disappointed to see that it really should not be totally submersed...

They can still be fully submerged. Not sure on the exact reason but I believe they have to put that on the packaging. Its been talked about before on the board.

Side note: does anyone else not like how Stealth heaters don't have a on/off light? How are you supposed to know its on and working. Thats why it took so long to figure out they had stopped and my tank was cold.

They can still be fully submerged. Not sure on the exact reason but I believe they have to put that on the packaging. Its been talked about before on the board.

Side note: does anyone else not like how Stealth heaters don't have a on/off light? How are you supposed to know its on and working. Thats why it took so long to figure out they had stopped and my tank was cold.

Same thing with the Elite, it has a max water level mark but can be submerged. I think there is a special standard that has to be met for them to be listed as fully submersible (UL?) but they are still waterproof.

If I had to pick a heater it would be the stealth. It can be dropped in the cement floor and still work ;)

RD, what control unit do you have?

I recently bought a Hydor inline from Trident (half price at $36). I'm looking forward to trying it. I don't have a prefferance as to branding I like but I do know what I don't like. I won;t trust the chinese brand I bought at AG. My SAs break them readily and they're still kids lol. The bond at the top of the heater is very weak and water soon gets in .

I've been happy so far with my hydor inline heater. Seems to work well, and it's nice to have a little more clutter out of the tank. Plus with it being attached to the water flow directly, I think it probably helps eliminate hot/cold spots a little better.

I've had too many problems with the cheap heaters in the past to trust them; they either fry your fish, or stop heating but the light still comes on.

I have Ebo Jager, stealth, Tronic, Top Fin and the cheap ones from Wal-Mart, The only one I don't like is the stealth since there is no light on it. But they have all been working fine for a year or longer. I do try and use two small heaters per tank so I don't fry my fish if my heaters do crap out on me.

When I replaces all of my hang on tank heaters I submerged all of the new ones with no problems. I remember reading some where that is has to do with CSA that the heater have to have a max water line on them.

Edited by snaggle

Well I went with Ebo jagers. I would have gone with Stealths again but I really dont' like not having an on/off light. Plus I was able to find the Ebo jagers for 25$ for the 150w and 27$ for the 250w. So I bought a couple of each size.

I have 1 unopened stealth 200w heater that I'm going to try. Hopefully its better then the last 3.

Thanks for all the replies

Edited by degrassi

Actually I find that it is not really an issue, If I think a tank is running cold then I bump the temp and hold the heater to see if it is working. The stealths are likely the best internal tank heaters if you have an overly active large fish.