gravel vaccumn

sumergold

Just wondering.........when you use a gravel vac, when do you condition the water? I've always sat my water for a week, so have not used a conditioner before. Water changes and gravel cleaning are starting to take up so much time, that I am thinking of buying a gravel vac, but want to be sure about how to condition the water that goes in right from the tap. Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you have prime and stability?

If you do, you vacuum out your water 15-20%, then add your new water, put the prime in right away, follow directions on the bottle, I normally wait 20 minutes then add the appropriate amount of stability.

We don't use our tap water, my husband brings the tap water from his work place, so when I can I add the prime to the jug and let it set over night before adding it to the tank, then I can put the stability in right away.

That is how I do my water changes, someone else might offer different advise.

Lana

I fill my tanks directly from the tap and add some Prime to the water(enough for the total tanks volume, not just the new water).

Really? I thought you shouldn't fill your tank directly from tap water. Does Prime work so quickly that Chlorine doesn't effect you fish? Or is it that Chlorine only effects your fish if they're exposed to it for long periods? In other words, I don't need to let my water sit for a day before adding it to my tank if I use a de-Chlorinator?

Edited by DaveDude77

I know some people fill their tanks directly from the tap and then add the water conditioner.

Some others will take cold water in a bucket and then heat it to the tank's temperature by a heater and then add conditioner and then do the water change.

I have both my hot and cold water running at the same time and while filling the bucket, I add the conditioner and stir the water with my hand really well, so that the prime gets mixed. Then I add the water straight to the tank and I don't wait for a day. I don't think I have given my fishes any shock by doing this.

When doing water changes on large tanks, it is almost impossible to age your water. I do age some water in a 50 gal food grade storage barrel equipped with a heater and airstone, however it is not necessary. I do weekly large changes on 90 gal tanks directly from the tap. I add Prime to the tank just before I start refilling and direct the new water away from the filter intake. Prime does act instantly so no need to worry.

Edited by Blue Ram

It is basically the exact same regime for me as degrassi. I use the python system (is awesome for larger tanks), gravel vac and empty the desired amount of water. Then I keep the tap running and test the water until it feels a good temperature, pull the nozzle up to fill, then as it starts filling I pour in the amount of prime I want. Prime and other water conditioners are supposed to act right away, and I like Prime because a little goes a long way. I don't use stability either. Just sometimes some aquarium salts.

The only water I have started to age is what goes in my discus tank. If wanting to age your water you will NEED to use an airstone, because it can go stale without oxygen being put in. Usually within 24 hours it should be fine without air though. The chlorine should evaporate within 24 hours from the water, so aging for this long is fine if you don't want to use dechlorinators. I also have a heater in with my aging water so that the temperature is the same as the tank it is going into, but for most fish room temperature is fine (discus on the other hand are a little more sensitive).

I do 50% WCs weekly, and my smallest tank is a 90... needless to say, I don't age ANY water! :o I just add enough Prime for the total tank volume right before I refill the tank - have had ZERO issues (even lots of spawns) over the years with this method.

I would love to be able to change water by adding new water right out of the tap; however, I have a very old water heater and would be afraid of adding minerals that would be harmful to my fish.

So I have to add cold water to a container and heat it using a heater. I add Prime and have found it to be one of the better products on the market, especially for chloramine removal.

I use well water and do not have to add anything. Thank god. If I did I would not have this many tanks. Yes my PH is high but it seems to work.Have so many fry I cannot get rid of them . Have a S/A 180gal tank running and they are all growning good and lots of color. They even breed in my well water which has a very high PH. Like over 8.0

So when I read all the post about fish needing a lower PH I just carry on and do my own thing.

Hey it works for me.