Boom's 180 Gallon Tank Project

Boom

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow.nice set up..anyway you still have for sale some like peacocks?

Looks great Boom!

Personally I would remove the coyote skull looking piece of decor, it just seems so out of place in that set up. :)

??? Coyote skull??? Clean your computer screen guys, it's a busted old conch shell! :D

It offers good hiding place and the wife likes it, so who am I to argue...

Thanks for the compliments guys.

And denzkyasia, no I don't have any more fish for sale.

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

Greg,

I do beleive the calvus and comp are too big for the fronts to even try.

The juli's and the leleupi's on the other hand are a concern.

From what I've read, the fronts really slow down in their growing at about 4", which is the approx. size that they are now. That means that they'll slowly grow from here and hopefullt the juli's and leleupi will have some time to "catch up".

I've also read that fronts are very lazy eaters. They won't "hunt" unless they need to. So hopefully if I keep them well fed, they'll leave the other fish alone.

Of coarse they are still unpredictable animals, and they may just decide one day to have a snack of the littler fish.

Thats a really really nice tank... Looks amazing... The only thing im my opinion that would make it nice is....#1 in my house (lol), and maybe a 3d rock background. Super nice fish... i do wish it was mine

• 5 months later...

very well done! Fantastic!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well after realizing that I haven't updated the thread on my 55 gallon for over a year, I figured I better check this thread too, which has also been grossly neglected for over 8 months! :(

All 11 of my fronts are still doing well, they are groing but slowly. Some of the tankmates I added with them dissapeared over time. I only have 1 of the 2 calvus left :( that really bummed me out, I loved those fish. I lost 10 of the 12 Firecracker Leleupi's, and have lost a few of the Julidichromis that I had added as well. I never saw any aggression or active hunting by the fronts, and I never found any remains of any of the fish. I have to assume that they were "sniped" by the fronts in the dark of night. Thats apparently how fronts "hunt" in nature, so that is my best guess. With that said, I won't be adding any more of anything to this tank, whats there will stay, if it survives, and the fronts will hopefully leave the rest alone.

I did have to add an OB peacock and 2 victorians (1 Astatotilapia latifasciata, and 1 unknown) that were in my 55. 3 of the mbuna in that tank decided to take everything else out. I really wanted to save those 3 fish, so moved them to the 180 out of pure need. I kind of like them in there for color contrast, and althought the Astato took a beating from the other Vic when I first put them in there, they all seem to be doing fine for the last week or two. I'll likely leave them there pending any future changeing of my mind.

I'm going to be trying to get some nice photo's of this tank and the fish in the next few days. I will update with the pics.