410 gallon tank

rED O

We screwed the plywood on the stand and got it all painted up nicely. We are going to start the tank and sump build this week and on the weekend. We should have it up in 2 weeks just waiting for the glass. So its going to be 88'' long x 40'' wide x 28'' high. 426 gallons.

Edited by rED O

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We screwed the plywood on the stand and got it all painted up nicely. We are going to start the tank and sump build this week and on the weekend. We should have it up in 2 weeks just waiting for the glass. So its going to be 88'' long x 40'' wide x 28'' high. 426 gallons.

hey dust that would be big enough for nice sized shark eh?

• 2 weeks later...

we cut pieces of wood 1.5 x 1.5'' to put in all the conners of the tank. we wanted to make nailers to put the screws in rather then putting the screws in the plywood making it weaker.

we start the build friday morning.

This is giving us goosebumps......I can't wait to see it.....ideas for the boyfriend to build me :-) cheeky cheeky.

so far I have had lots of fun to build the stand. We start the tank tomorrow.

I think what people are trying to convey to you is that the bolts won't fail, but there is a possibility that there will be adequate shear forces present to tear out the small plates in which the bolts have been threaded. I beleive it's referred to as perpendicular shear.

I think what people are trying to convey to you is that the bolts won't fail, but there is a possibility that there will be adequate shear forces present to tear out the small plates in which the bolts have been threaded. I beleive it's referred to as perpendicular shear.
I might put plates under the feet. The bolts wont fail for anyone who thinks they might.

I think what people are trying to convey to you is that the bolts won't fail, but there is a possibility that there will be adequate shear forces present to tear out the small plates in which the bolts have been threaded.

Exactly.

While the stand appears to be very well built, and very solid, the adjustable feet are definitely a weak link in the design.

If you are planning to place metal plates under each leg for weight distribution (a good idea, even on concrete) then IMO you would be better off removing the bolts, and simply shimming each leg where required. Over the long haul this would be a far stronger, and far safer design.

Just a quick calculation. You will probably be up in the area of 5000 lbs. That's 833 lbs. per cap screw. How thick is the plate that you have threaded? What is the diameter of the cap screw? You can double the capacity by using a locking nut below the plate. Definitely needs to be looked at.