DIY Bacground info needed...

Erin

I know how to do the foam style, But I only lnow how do make it look cement ( thats the way I know how... if you want to know what I am talking about here is the link to youtube:

) I was thinking if there was some way to add in some blacks and browns My idea would be complete. But I don't know how to add in color :( So if anyone on here does... I'm just planning out everything for my 125GAL that I plan on getting in a few years once we buy our house. Thanks

Erin

I know how to do the foam style, But I only lnow how do make it look cement ( thats the way I know how... if you want to know what I am talking about here is the link to youtube:
) I was thinking if there was some way to add in some blacks and browns My idea would be complete. But I don't know how to add in color :( So if anyone on here does... I'm just planning out everything for my 125GAL that I plan on getting in a few years once we buy our house. Thanks

Erin

I know the brown things that fall off my neighbours tree(before they cut it down) would stain the cement sidewalk a golden brown (rust) colour. Maybe that could be a source for you. You'd have to wet it and strategicly place then Seal the cement (which you are supposed to do anyway)

Good Luck. and maybe google Cement Pigments.

Merry Christmas

L

You can buy cement coloring, i've used in doing concrete work, it comes as a powder and you mix in into the cement, it will also work for the background. My only concern for you is that it may not be easy to buy in small amounts. Inquire to specialty cement/concrete stores.

Regards

Devon

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

when i made mine i mixed in the quickcrete color and cement and got a nice brownish black color and put it on as my final concrete coat of the background.....then while the concrete was still wet i used a dry paintbrush and small dabs of the concrete pigment (i had brown, black and a reddish color) and stippled in some details and shading to make it look realistic....ie highlighting high spots and darkining the crevices. it turned out pretty good i think.....

• 1 month later...
Wow! Really cool thread. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Hi,

Agreed that this is a great thread. I've always wanted to try making one. Does anyone know how whether it would be heavy if i try to make one for a 6' tank ?

Wow! Really cool thread. Thanks for sharing that with us!

Hi,

Agreed that this is a great thread. I've always wanted to try making one. Does anyone know how whether it would be heavy if i try to make one for a 6' tank ?

they are not that heavy since they are primarily styrofoam with a thin (1/2cm approx) coat of concrete.

You can buy cement coloring, i've used in doing concrete work, it comes as a powder and you mix in into the cement, it will also work for the background. My only concern for you is that it may not be easy to buy in small amounts. Inquire to specialty cement/concrete stores.

Regards

Devon

Go with the quickcrete coloring. Concrete color pigment is very pricy. Most concrete companies now buy it in bulk liquid or powder form and sell it by wieght when you order concrete. Unless you know someone the works for a concrete outfit, you're better off buying the quickcrete stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote an article for the CAS on every specific step on how to build one. I will see how I could post it on here for you to read. I am on the other side of the world in greece so It will take some time to get this done.

Good Luck

I enjoyed it and have made many of them from 10 g to 135g

I wrote an article for the CAS on every specific step on how to build one. I will see how I could post it on here for you to read. I am on the other side of the world in greece so It will take some time to get this done.

Good Luck

I enjoyed it and have made many of them from 10 g to 135g

that was one month before i joined the cas and i missed it. that was one thing that i wish i would have seen. i have seen your finished product and really liked it. i would also like to know how to do that or where the link is to that article. was it in the cas magazine? what month?