Rift Lake Poll

Fishful Thinking

Favourite Rift Lake  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm with you, Greg - Tangs are the African of choice for me. In fact, I keep looking at my 135 planted picturing how I'd set it up as a Tang tank... and thinking an FX5 mod would be fun.

Edited by jvision

Very very tough for me to pick a favorite on this one Greg. I voted for Malawi just because of the huge diversity and availability in the hobby. I love my peacocks and mbuna.

That being said, my favorite fish right now (since I got them) are my pair of black calvus, which are Tanganyikan of coarse. I just love them.

Boom :boom:

I started with Malawi five years ago but got into Tanganyika a bit three years ago.

This week I sold my last Malawi cichlids and all the fish I have left are Tanganyika.

I'm not anti-Malawi by any means, it is just that this is where my interest lies at the moment.

If you are just starting out though, I'd say go with Malawi - usually cheaper and and less strict care needed.

I am on the same boat. Started off with malawi's and still keep more of them than any other fish, but I really like the diversity of tangs and how their personalities are. I love my tang tank, and hopefully in the future will try out more types of tangs.........I love my synodontis :)

All 3 lakes produce great cichlids for aquariums. I voted Malawi because mbuna are my favorite cichlids and peacocks are my wife's favorite. Malawi cichlids are way more popular so the majority of people voting are probably biased due to that fact. I'm VERY unfamiliar with Victoria cichlids. Patrick's inventory always looks extremely nice, but I haven't seen many of the species he carries other than just pictures. Tanganyika cichlids seem to have more diversity, but I haven't seen as much of them either. I have a mpibwe frontosa in with my jewels and mbuna. He's great, but I'm still a mbuna guy.

I voted vic's. Since getting a couple groups from Patrick, I like the way they line up in single file at the front of the tank about 3" from the top like British soldiers ready to charge when the food hits the water. Malawi & Tangs are nice but it's the same behavior day in & day out. (Hide, come out & eat, then hide again).