Back in the hobby

Ted

Hello,

My wife Terry and I had both kept fish when we were growing up, but soon after we paired off and the fry (kids) were born, priorities changed, the fish were given away, tanks emptied and sold.......20 years later.

Terry is a Kindergarten teacher and was looking to set up a tank in her classroom at school. So off we went to the local shops looking for the perfect fish. Questions from the kids about salt vs freshwater, who gets along with who, and finally "WHY DON'T WE HAVE A TANK". Terry said OK, and my life was over. We went to every store in Edmonton looking at fish tanks and equipment, things had really changed in that time. There were fish we had only read about before in the aquariums in the stores, equipment of all sorts, not like the Ol' Woodward's store at all.

Our daughter was looking up info on the net and came across the ACE webpage, and there was a meeting the next night, off we went. We were made welcome by a great bunch of folks, watched an interesting video and listened to the discussion, we joined up. We were asked if we would be attending the auction that Sunday, my wife said "you bet", ............the skies darkened.

There were all kinds of equipment, tanks, fish, there one of the folks from the meeting brought some fish we had bought a few days before. We bid on some more tanks, fish and plants, we won our fair share. Thanks to Rudy for advice on plants that we had never had before. I backed the truck up to the door to load up our haul, there were tanks in the back, kids had smaller tanks on their laps, bags of plants were tucked into any available space, it looked like the Clampets on the move.

We now have enough water in tanks to float a small boat and are waiting for things settle down trying the fishless method of tank cycling.

Thanks to those that answered our questions and a thankyou to Tanker for helping us out with our account on the forum, it’s a great resource.

Take Care,

Ted and Terry

Bon Accord

:welcome:

Hello,

My wife Terry and I had both kept fish when we were growing up, but soon after we paired off and the fry (kids) were born, priorities changed, the fish were given away, tanks emptied and sold.......20 years later.

Terry is a Kindergarten teacher and was looking to set up a tank in her classroom at school. So off we went to the local shops looking for the perfect fish. Questions from the kids about salt vs freshwater, who gets along with who, and finally "WHY DON'T WE HAVE A TANK". Terry said OK, and my life was over. We went to every store in Edmonton looking at fish tanks and equipment, things had really changed in that time. There were fish we had only read about before in the aquariums in the stores, equipment of all sorts, not like the Ol' Woodward's store at all.

Our daughter was looking up info on the net and came across the ACE webpage, and there was a meeting the next night, off we went. We were made welcome by a great bunch of folks, watched an interesting video and listened to the discussion, we joined up. We were asked if we would be attending the auction that Sunday, my wife said "you bet", ............the skies darkened.

There were all kinds of equipment, tanks, fish, there one of the folks from the meeting brought some fish we had bought a few days before. We bid on some more tanks, fish and plants, we won our fair share. Thanks to Rudy for advice on plants that we had never had before. I backed the truck up to the door to load up our haul, there were tanks in the back, kids had smaller tanks on their laps, bags of plants were tucked into any available space, it looked like the Clampets on the move.

We now have enough water in tanks to float a small boat and are waiting for things settle down trying the fishless method of tank cycling.

Thanks to those that answered our questions and a thankyou to Tanker for helping us out with our account on the forum, it’s a great resource.

Take Care,

Ted and Terry

Bon Accord

Welcome back, the second time seems to be easier and much more enjoyable for myself and hope it is for you as well.

The auctions got me hooked again and must be give you a caution. Stay away from Aquabid as it's highly addictive!!!! I need a support group for this. My local aquarium society tends to encourage my behaviour!!! Hope to see you at our auction and good luck with your new finned friends.