How often do you crack your canister open?

digital-monk

How often do you crack your canister open?  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I usually do it every 2-3 months on my planted tank as it gets a lot dirtier. I clean the hoses, impeller and rinse out the container. I rinse out the sponge but leave the bio media alone.

On my other tank, I clean it out maybe twice a year. But its on a lower stocked tank with no plants, so there isn't too much gunk that gets into it.

I use a prefilter sponges on the intakes and clean that at every water change.

I have a xp2 and xp3

Edited by degrassi

I cleaned out my FX5 twice in the 18months I owned it. I've had XP3s that only had biomedia in them that I didn't clean in the years that I owned them.. they just ran and ran. My Eheims aren't going to need anything for a long while, either.

My Rena xp3 is the secondary filter on my 55. I clean it out every 2 months or so, but that's only because I have filter floss in there to polish the water and it gunks up faster than regular foam pads and such.

On the Fluval 404 I only opened it once every 3 or 4 months.

Boom :boom:

4 Rena xp3's, 1 Chinese Ehiem knock off, and a fluval 403. Once a month for the knock off on Rip's tank, otherwise every second month unless the flow dies out.