135 Gal Filter Needs

floater

I am looking at setting up a 135 gal freshwater tank. At this point, I am trying to decide which filter would work the best. A HOB will not work as the tank is in an office and must be flush against the wall. Noise would be a factor in my choice. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks

Welcome aboard! Up until a week ago, I thought our XP3 was adequate for our 90-the vote is still out on this, as our cloudy tank seems to have difficulty clearing up. I think it is something other than just the filter though, so I wouldn't rule one out. It has done a great job up until now. For the price, a person could add a second one (compared to an Eheim) Never owned one before, but they seem to be a popular choice here as well.

But that means cleaning two filters, and twice the hoses...

Good luck-check out Golds if the XP3 is the final choice-great price!

I noticed lately that fluidized bed filters aren't as expensive as I thought it might be something to look into one of these and a canister with high flow rate like xp3 and you would be good for sure. I'm just kinda intrested in how well the beds work that mostly why I suggest it there are cheaper alternatives, Sounds like you gonan need a canister otherwise and the general breakdown can be considered as

Ehiem top notch and worth the money, all around best, both classic and professional are top standard canisters

The fluval is a cheap copy of the ehiem, it is similarily quite and maintains similar efficient design but made of cheaper parts which are less reliable and more frustrateing

Rena offers a good medium, It is reliable and efficient but is suposed to be noisier and just can't equal ehiem excellence

Though all I have is a fluval 403 (<-not sugested)

Edited by vantgE

Sorry Rahim, but I have yet to see any sump that even comes close to an Eheim as far as noise goes. IME you won't find a quiter pump, anywhere, than an Eheim. I have to put my hand on mine to make sure that they're actually running sometimes. They are somewhat pricey, but for bombproof reliability (I have two I've been running for ~10+ years), they absolutely can't be beat. Come to think of it, I don't think there's any filter company I've seen out there who still has the same designs/models out they had 10 years ago besides Eheim (the Classic line).

One more thought. This tank is at work? Unless you want everyone to think you are working late when actually you are freaking out about the various things that overflow a sump setup. Trust me, even in a perfect setup you will still have issues going along the way. Small flood from stuffing to much filter floss, or whatever are not an issues at home, but when they happen at your office, they become one.