Betta Barracks?

NomiDemekin

Lately I've been wanting to try building my own tank, especially since other tank plans seem to fall through. I'm quite attraceted to the idea of a tank designed specifically as a divided betta tank. I know I would want it to be 25-30 gallons divided into 5 or 6 square sections, each divided area set up so the individual bettas cannot see each other (opaque divides). I wonder though, if it would be better to have it filtered, making holes in the dividers to allow for flow and quarantining each individual betta extensively, or to have the sections completely sealed off from each other, with an air-pump system and weekly 100% water changes. Personally, I would prefer a filtered tank, but would it cause too many problems? Has anyone had experience with divided betta tanks, or is it something best avoided?

You could try siliconing black acrylic/plexi compartments - I'd set the pieces about 1/2" off the bottom and about 1/2" below where you want your water line (or do an over-under system), to allow for flow between compartments w/o allowing the fish to cross.

You could try siliconing black acrylic/plexi compartments - I'd set the pieces about 1/2" off the bottom and about 1/2" below where you want your water line (or do an over-under system), to allow for flow between compartments w/o allowing the fish to cross.

That sounds a good deal more simple than drilling holes, but as bettas do tend to jump i don't know if i would place the silicone under the water line. Though if i did place another small strip above the main piece I could do it.

I have four bettas in two divided 10g tanks. I use plastic craft mesh as my divider material because the holes are larger (water flow) and the plastic is more rigid than the flimsy plastic sheet that comes with the dividers available at the LFS.

The bettas flare at each other occasionally but for the most part they stick to checking out their individual compartments. Each one is planted.

If you were to completely seal off each compartment you would have to ensure each was evenly heated. With dividers that allow for water flow, you can buy one heater suitable for the entire tank's volume and not worry about it. It's also easier to keep a larger water volume stable.

I, too, would not position the dividers below the water line. In my tanks I had the dividers an inch above the water line and the bettas still managed to jump over. I've since had to cut the divider to match the shape of the hood so there are as few gaps as possible, but there is still a vulnerable place by the filter that one betta has managed to take advantage of.

I have an empty 33g and I am thinking of putting my bettas into it. My idea is to use a canister filter with two spraybars: one would be attached to the intake with slightly larger holes and would run along the bottom near the substrate to pull in detritus, etc (and possibly covered with nylon to keep fins from getting sucked in). The dividers would have to be cut to accommodate. The second spraybar would be on the outflow and either positioned along the entire back length of the tank at the surface or at one end of the tank--depending on how much current was created. Just an idea.

I just had an idea but i'm not sure if it'll work or not but why not use a black foam block instead of mesh and have the flow go from one end of the tank to the other and that way you could add extra filtration and have the sections blocked off AND prevent them from stressing.

Good luck on whatever you choose it sounds like fun

L

I've gotten the final go-ahead to work on this project and to have the tank displayed out in the house (that is, if I can make it look decent). :thumbs: So it's full steam ahead!

The black foam block sounds interesting, but I can't help but think that using foam could have complications (though I must admit I cannot think of any specific problems right now, other than the issue of keeping them clean of algae and debris).

First things first, I'm going to be making the plans and doing some practice tank making (making a quarentine tank, 5 G, since the betta barraks will use the same water and filtration and I really do feel I need to practice something like this). I'm thinking something along the live of five 5G sections, totaling 25 gallons in all, and I still need to work out how to work with the canopies and lighting. For the dividers I think my best bet is to use black or blue plastic dividers, with holes drilled in them (meaning less glass/acrylic work, and no chance of a betta getting stuck underneath the divider).

Though I still have to decide if I want to use glass or acrylic, as well as what dimensions would work best.

As well, if we keep getting females as nice as we have in the last month at work, I may move my HMPK out of the ten gallon and have a few females in there, if it's doable in a 10G.

Edited by NomiDemekin

Lately I've been wanting to try building my own tank, especially since other tank plans seem to fall through. I'm quite attraceted to the idea of a tank designed specifically as a divided betta tank. I know I would want it to be 25-30 gallons divided into 5 or 6 square sections, each divided area set up so the individual bettas cannot see each other (opaque divides). I wonder though, if it would be better to have it filtered, making holes in the dividers to allow for flow and quarantining each individual betta extensively, or to have the sections completely sealed off from each other, with an air-pump system and weekly 100% water changes. Personally, I would prefer a filtered tank, but would it cause too many problems? Has anyone had experience with divided betta tanks, or is it something best avoided?

We bought a special tank down in the states that was designed to be a Betta barracks and brought it back as carry-on (whew - now that is a story). It is basically a long tank that has had slots cut in the top trim to allow panes of glass to drop down to the bottom. They are not siliconed in but sit loose anchored by the substrate and the top trim. There is flow around the edges of each pane, but it is not enough for a fish to slide through (only about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch). You could increase flow by using a perforated pane or plastic craft canvas. We put a filter on one end and a heater in the other. What is nice is that the dividers can be changed, making as many as 6 compartments, or 3 even compartments, or 2 with one slightly larger than the other.

After seeing this, of course we noticed that the 2 1/2 gallons that Big Al's stocks have the same slots cut in the top trim. Now we use our own tanks and craft canvas and poster hanging frames to make our own dividers. Whatever the tank, they are all planted with real or plastic plants and have caves and hidey holes for the male bettas. They do not seem to have any problems with living this way. The smallest compartment we use is 2 1/2 gallons (1/2 of a 5). The girls all share a sorority tank except when we run across a female that is too ornery, then she goes in a female divided tank.

Have fun - it certainly beats a bowl for quality of life and your own viewing pleasure.

Theresa

I don't believe using foam as a dividing material would work. Water flow rate in a betta tank needs to be low to not drag the fish down by the fins, so there would not be sufficient pressure to move the water through the foam, resulting in stagnant compartments.

An alternative to craft mesh or manually cutting holes in acrylic or glass is to use vented/perforated soffit, the kind that has the round holes in it (example). It's a lot stiffer than craft mesh with larger holes (that are still small enough to prevent fish from getting through). Cut to size and use spines from report covers (or the channels that come with dividers available at the LFS) to hold in place against the glass. Article.

Edited by Shai

• 4 weeks later...

I just built a Betta set up in July to hold 10 male Bettas. I took a 33 gallon - long tank. I made dividers out of two screens used for reptile tank lids, these I used for the sides of the enclosure. Then I sewed a larger holed mesh across the bottom and up the two ends. I bought some black nylon screen from Home Depot and cut rectangle pieces and sewed them in as dividers. The dividers come to about an inch and a half above the water. The enclosure has two bars screwed across the top so it rests on the aquarium lip, and also two bars screwed across the bottom to keep it stable. The whole thing is an inch and a half smaller than the aquarium so there is lots of water flow. And it is about 5 inches from the bottom. I put a small bumblebee catfish at the bottom to eat the food that falls through the net bottom. And all the fish poop falls through the net bottom as well. I have regular gravel substrate. I put a small power filter at one end and a submersible filter at the other end. I do not have a lid over the tank, and no one has jumped out. They did flare up at each other at times but now they are getting used to each other. I was away for the month of August so I had to design something easy to care for because my daughter-in-law was looking after my fish. I just got back a few days ago and my fish are beautiful and healthy. I did a water change without taking the enclosure out and it was no problem. But I am going to have to get the whole thing out to do a gravel cleaning next week. It has worked out so well I am going to keep the fish in it. I designed it to be temporary while I was on holidays, but it has proven to be a real time saver for me. Now I do not have to clean out 10 little betta tanks, and the one large tank stays cleaner.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 20 gal divided into 3 areas - in the middle section I have the filter and heater. I am actually redoing it right now because I didn't silicone the dividers in well enough so my boys got through and had a smack down -- now they are in little 2 gallon tanks while they heal =(