green tank problem

mooseman1

i'm fairly new to fish tank's, i have a 150 gal that i set up 6 week's ago ,i let cycle for 7 day's before adding 12 small fish (7angel's 2 plecos 3 ?) it's planted with a sand bottom , i'm using a rena xp3 and aqua clear 110 on the tank and i'm doing weekly water changes of about 30-40 % and my water is a greenish haze ,i tested my water yesterday and all was normal , my fish are happy BUT MY WATER IS GREEN :well:

Reduce the hours of light to start with. If it continues then you may have issues with high nutrients in the water.

Green water is typically caused by excess ammonia and/or too long photoperiod. First try Nick's suggestion, but my guess is that your tank hasn't finished its cycle completely.

Pick up a Magnum HOT 250 filter and run it full time with the micron sleeve for a few weeks. Pick up an extra so that you always have one ready to change over.

Guaranteed to clean things up in no time.

Good luck!

Pick up a Magnum HOT 250 filter and run it full time with the micron sleeve for a few weeks. Pick up an extra so that you always have one ready to change over.

Guaranteed to clean things up in no time.

Good luck!

how much do those cost do you know off hand? and where to get them?

Walmart used to carry them, I don't know if they still do or not. You can also order them on-line from here.

http://www.mops.ca/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/sk...e5a0+1256984952

I had a thick green bloom in my tank a couple weeks ago. Easy fix for me was to shut down the lights and leave the tank in darkness for a couple days. However, it was an all-rock-no-plants african cichlid tank. When reading up on the whole green water issue though, I was told having breeding gouramis can keep free-floating algae away as their fry susposedly eat it up.

Hey, I had green water in a couple of my tanks last year, I got it during early spring when the sun would rise it would hit my tanks for several hours, oddly enough my tanks were no where close to a window. The sun hit them at just the perfect angle. Anyways.... my solution

When I had it in my 67 it got progressively worse everyday until I could not see any living thing other than the algae, I tried water changes, treatments, mechanical and chemical filter flips or alterations. Nothing.... I ended up buy a UV sterilizer for the tank, this worked like magic.

when I ended up getting it in my 112 the 67 was at its peak. So my thinking is that it may of spread from one tank to another. Either way I found a new solution that saved me money. I ended up doing a water change everyday for about 1 month, during that time I did not see any difference in the water, then one morning I woke up and my tank was completely clear, all gone. This can work for most tanks as long as your fish can handle a decent size water change everyday. If not maybe do smaller ones over a longer course of time. My conclusions have come to....wait for it, haha! It is not the removal of the mechanical material in the water you need to remove the nutrients from the water that the green water (algae) survives off of.

This solution should work because when I tested my water for ammonia etc. everything was safe as is yours. During this time my fish were still happy, eating and thriving so have no fear green water is here. MOST cases algae will not harm your livestock, fish actually like green water, some fish live in it, and believe it or not people sometimes buy green water to raise fry. Its the humans that despise it.

Good Luck

Hey, I had green water in a couple of my tanks last year, I got it during early spring when the sun would rise it would hit my tanks for several hours, oddly enough my tanks were no where close to a window. The sun hit them at just the perfect angle. Anyways.... my solution

When I had it in my 67 it got progressively worse everyday until I could not see any living thing other than the algae, I tried water changes, treatments, mechanical and chemical filter flips or alterations. Nothing.... I ended up buy a UV sterilizer for the tank, this worked like magic.

when I ended up getting it in my 112 the 67 was at its peak. So my thinking is that it may of spread from one tank to another. Either way I found a new solution that saved me money. I ended up doing a water change everyday for about 1 month, during that time I did not see any difference in the water, then one morning I woke up and my tank was completely clear, all gone. This can work for most tanks as long as your fish can handle a decent size water change everyday. If not maybe do smaller ones over a longer course of time. My conclusions have come to....wait for it, haha! It is not the removal of the mechanical material in the water you need to remove the nutrients from the water that the green water (algae) survives off of.

This solution should work because when I tested my water for ammonia etc. everything was safe as is yours. During this time my fish were still happy, eating and thriving so have no fear green water is here. MOST cases algae will not harm your livestock, fish actually like green water, some fish live in it, and believe it or not people sometimes buy green water to raise fry. Its the humans that despise it.

Good Luck

[/quote where could i pick up this uv sterilizer? online ?thank's