What is on the GLASS?

jesp

SO I picked up my 90 gallon and cleaned it all out and set it up where I want it before continuing my project.

Sadly I came across a problem. (Hopefully this picture will attach).

One whole side, which was originally the back side, has weird white splotches. It is all on the outside of the glass. I used a razor blade, bleach, windex, and CLR, to no avail.

What in the world could this be, and how can it be fixed?

OK, I don't know how to attach these pictures. Can someone tell me how to do it? They are just pictures that look like dried chemicals on one side of the tank. It does not look like scratches at all.

Thanks.

th_Photoon2010-07-16at1310.jpg

th_Photoon2010-07-16at1309.jpg

It pictures worked! Ok, so you can't see it too well, but that is it. It is chemically rather than a scratched look. I have now tried vinegar and went back to the CLR to let is soak a while. I am thinking my next step is paint thinner......

Suggestions?!?!

Wackinator, thanks for the tip.

Edited by jesp

Oxidation !! Thats My Guess

Usually Appears In The Form Of Hazy Pale Deposits That Appear "Etched" Onto The Glass Of An Aquarium. Iv Never Tryed Removing It But Told That Vinegar Will Remove It ... I Use CLR For Hard Water Stains And Other Hard Ta Remove Crap Lol

Now The Last Thing Is Bio-Clean Iv Never Used The Stuff But Told Its Been Used With Great Success

( Edit) "Extreme" Hydrochloric Acid ! But Hear You Need To Rinse ! Rinse Rinse ! Iv Used It To Remove Scuffs And Minor Scratch's

Blake

Edited by The-Influence

sounds like it is water marks/mineral deposits from water getting between the background and the glass... I had similar issue with a used tank I bought a while back but probably not to the degree that you have on your tank as mine came off relatively easy. Glass is porous to some extent so it might take lots of soaking and elbow grease to get that white film off and you still might not be able to get it all. Maybe try laying a paper towel very wet with vinegar flat over the area and leave it to sit on the spot for a few hours then come at it with a razor and scrubbies. That seemed to help me on the harder to clean spots. Hope it helps. I have also hear Lime Away works well but have never tried it.

btw... have you filled the tank to see if the marks are noticeable when full of water?

Edited by Cgy_Betta_Guy

I've had the same issues with an old tank I had. I tried all the above thinking at least hydrochloric acid would work and nope it didn't. The only thing that I found worked was an industrial hand cleaner with pumice in it and alot of elbow grease.

I recently had the same problem with a tank I resiliconed. I made the mistake of putting the tight fitting glass lids to keep the smell of the silicone out of the room the tank was in. It had the same film on the glass that are shown in your pictures. I then made another mistake & filled the tank & put a couple of fish in the tank to start cycling, it killed them both in a couple of days. I left the tank circulating after removing the dead fish & 3 or 4 days later the film started coming off the sides in sheets. After it all peeled off I emptied the tank cleaned it & refilled it, no issues since.

Edited by angel al

I've had the same issues with an old tank I had. I tried all the above thinking at least hydrochloric acid would work and nope it didn't. The only thing that I found worked was an industrial hand cleaner with pumice in it and alot of elbow grease.

This did not scratch the glass?

sounds like it is water marks/mineral deposits from water getting between the background and the glass... I had similar issue with a used tank I bought a while back but probably not to the degree that you have on your tank as mine came off relatively easy. Glass is porous to some extent so it might take lots of soaking and elbow grease to get that white film off and you still might not be able to get it all. Maybe try laying a paper towel very wet with vinegar flat over the area and leave it to sit on the spot for a few hours then come at it with a razor and scrubbies. That seemed to help me on the harder to clean spots. Hope it helps. I have also hear Lime Away works well but have never tried it.

btw... have you filled the tank to see if the marks are noticeable when full of water?

Thanks for the ideas. No I have not tried to fill the tank and see if it is visible. I am not sure how it could not be. It is definitely on the outside. (Also, I need to reenforce this counter before I fill it with 1200 lbs of water and rocks.) I am going to flip this thing on its side for now and get that vinegar on it.

Should I use vinegar or CLR?

I had succes with a turtle wax product a while back on a used tank. it was a heavy duty rubbing compound.

I am guessing that this was not too rough for the glass? I am worried to try anything like that. Any brands that are recommended? What exactly am I needing to purchase?