Edmonton Auction

Wingin' It

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only there for a few mins, but it was very busy! The parking was nuts!(not that bad only a 30 second walk) Alot of good times were being had. Seen alot of plants but I arrived very late. I really wanted to buy the trio of meelis that I seen there. I was in too much of a rush. Cant stop thinking about those meeli :blush: Did anyone here buy them?

After about 3, the real deals were had! About 1/2 the crowd had left, and some lots were going for ridiculous prices - I don't know how many times I said to myself, "if only I had more room!" The first half of the day was definitely a seller's market, tho. I have never seen so many people at an ACE auction, so it was quite exciting!

I bought 3 sunburst peacocks 1 M , 2 F. One of the females was looking a bit tilted but after a while in a seclusion are she perked up and is looking like she will just fine. Guess I am now breeding sunburts along with the eureka reds LOL. Have to get another tank. Probably should have bought one at the auction. Wasn't there a whole setup with the sponge filter that went for $35. Darn.....Justin you were in too much of a hurry to get home to see the Pats game .....oh they won. Anyway good auction and was nice to put some more faces to names and handles.......thanks ACE......:thumbs:

I think before the next auction and will get a tank ready for new stock!!!

Its the first ACE auction I ever attended. I felt it was a little long, but overall I loved it. And I now have my Italian newts set up in a nice new planted tank! All of which I bought at the auction, It was so cheap and I got so many plants, so so many plants haha. Was a little embarrassing when I realized I was bidding against my girlfriend at one point. I just really wanted my newts :P

what a turnout this time!

i was only there for a couple hours, had to get fish and a 3 foot light fixture home from High Park to millwoods on the bus, lol. didn't do any bidding (too broke!), but met up with a couple members for a sale and a trade. was great chatting with a few people and thanks again to whoever that was that helped me get my rainbows bagged up so professionally! i never did catch your name....... lol.

This auction was a little longer than we normally have, probably due to a large number of donated items. Usually the auctions end around 4:00. And yes there were a lot of people there,even after a good portion of them left there were still more than 50 people there towards the end.

The auction was super fun as usual! A little bit too long, I was ready to crash by about 4pm. I was surprised at the prices. Things were going higher then I expected. I was hoping to get some good deals on cheap plants towards the end but they were still going for $10-20+. Good for the seller in me but bad for my now empty tank:(

I picked up a pair of lemon swordtails, some assassin snails,some java moss, and a metal framed tank I don't know why i bid on(anyone want it for free?). I also got some Crystal red shrimp and some Crypt parva off some AA members. Thanks!

Definitely had a fun time :beer:

Also attended the ACE auction. Lots of people. Lots of activity, excellent auctioneers. There were probably close to twice the amount of people at the END of the edmonton auction than there were at the START/middle of the Calgary auction.

Little bit of a kafuffle for me when I asked for a bidder card they said 'oh you just pay cash'. I was like - seriously? no bidder card? answer: nope. just pay cash for each item you buy.

aight. Then later on I see people bidding with bidding cards so I asked again. Got the same answer. Asked why there were people that were allowed to bid, and was this some kind of racial profiling of middle age overweight causasians that spend too much at an auction.:smokey: I was getting set to file a greivance with the human rights groups, when they finally said that if you were a club member you could have a bidder card. So I showed them my CAS card. minor confusion. I probably could have said that in the first place, but I suppose they also could have said the same. Seems a good time to try to convince me to join the ACE as well as CAS! haha!

The majority of the fish seemed to be African cichlids (or maybe it just seemed to be as they are of no interest to me). Lots of equipment available and lots of really nice plants. Also a lot of plecos from Harold, but I am full up on Plecos.

I got outbid on a LOT of stuff, which is probably just as well. Might have had to sell my golf clubs to pay for everything!

I didn't see any annual killies, and only a couple of trios of non annuals (some varation of australes. Pretty, but not spectacular).

I bought a fluval 304 for $50,

steam distillation unit for $160 (not sure what i was thinking there, as I have a RO/DI unit. Some days I think I have more money than brains)

pair of J. Onca for $30. They were the main reason I attended the Edmonton auction.

I tried to corner the market on java moss for the multiple egg scatterers I am about to spawn.

and the big win for me was a dirty little 15 gallon tank that was divided in to 3 sections. I paid $22 for it. It also just happened to have inside its dirty little self 3 aquaclear minis, 3 50 watt submersible heaters, 2 ebo jager and 1 stealth, a very nice homemade glass lid with cut outs for each of the filters (how do they cut glass like that? like a square cut in to it. a lost art I suspect) and a flourescent light complete with an aqua glo bulb. That was a steal.

Some other odds and sods, and a few plants for my daughter in Edmonton who is now up to 3 tanks...

for a total of ~ $350

So when my wife asked me how many fish I bought and I said..... 2.

then she asked me how much I spent..... there was an ensuing discussion. :chair: :boxed:

All in all it was a great day though, and really glad I went. You Edmonton folks do an amazing job on your auction, and for the amount of items, and the amount of people I thought it went very smoothly. I am hoping my daughter chooses to join your club, as i think she can benefit a lot from doing so.

The best part for me was Fishclubgirl NOT trying to trick me in to buying duckweed... again! When Ken said "do you have a buck Dan? I was sure there was more duckweed headed home with me!

I only trick those who fall for it. Dan, when are you going to breed the rare betta "pinkus"???(There's one born every minute, Dan)