What not to feel when you go into your fish room

Guppygirl

Here is something that no one, including me wants to feel when they go into their fish room(s)---Squishy carpet. Sad to say that was me yesterday night at midnight. My fishroom is a bedroom hence the carpeting. So I go into panic mode-what is leaking-check all the tanks there are 3. :shock: Ow no one is low and just had a top up the day before, so madly go and do the obvious check for cracks, check for a broken silicone seal on any of the joints-nothing-so what is leaking. Not seeing anything, water is not gushing out-thank god. So a slow leak somewhere-still a leak but not blow-out. So I watch the back of the tank as the water is pooling on my stand/wooden filing cabinet. And low and behold it is not the tank it seems but the dang filter. :boxed: :chair: :boxer: :bang1: Something happened to the outgoing flow and it was starting to back up under the overflow and down the back of the tank and onto the floor. Who knows how long this has been going on, as carpet can soak up quite a bit before you get squishy, and it was wet half way in the room-not good. So had to madly grab towels, and more towels and got most of the water out of the carpet I could get too. I think I fixed the filter cleaned the overflow and such. Then marked the water line started it up and then had to go to bed had work in the morning. Got home early and moved out the tank- thank god it is only a ten gallon or there would have been major headaches. Grabbed more towels and soaked up some more water from the carpet I couldn't reach before and then the drying began and is still going as I type this. I think I need to start checking my tanks earlier rather than later-midnight is not the time to have a fishy emergency of any kind. Thou as many of us know fish tend to be more forth coming and calm when they can't see us, a dark room and a lit tank are a great viewing experience. Thanks for reading this very long post.

I feel that pain....

Ive got 2 PVC overflows on a 180 gallon and same deal last week..... Water running down the back of it where i couldnt see... just hear and it sounded alot like an overflow LOL......

Checked the T where the water flows and a pleco pops its head out and scares the crap outa me....... Got him out and flow resumed to normal...... Next morning Screen pipes were built :)

Put some fans pointed to the wet carpet. I can't count how many times I've had leaks, and amazingly my wife still lets me put tanks in just about every room of our house (even though I already have a fishroom!). Fans will help dry it up faster and hopefully prevent mold/mildew.

yeah I had a fluval 404 burst a seal and empty 20 or so gallons out of my 55 gallon tank. Thankfully it was in the basement and it was sloped right down a drain. I keep my cannisters inside large tupperwares under my larger tanks. Gives me a lil bit of extra time.

if you have carpet and fish tanks invest in a carpet cleaner. I have saved myself from many a headache with it not to mention you don't have to worry about renting and getting all the house carpets cleaned in a weekend. I just do mine one room at a time throughout the summer and have saved allot of money just in electricity and laundry by cleaning up my tank messes with it. The new bissel one is at Costco.

Good luck

L

if you have carpet and fish tanks invest in a carpet cleaner. I have saved myself from many a headache with it not to mention you don't have to worry about renting and getting all the house carpets cleaned in a weekend. I just do mine one room at a time throughout the summer and have saved allot of money just in electricity and laundry by cleaning up my tank messes with it. The new bissel one is at Costco.

Good luck

L

All dry again. Fans are a friend now. I can not imagine what you are going through Ruadh. My tank only lost a couple of gallons over a few days, made the rug wet and sloggy but not the huge mess you are most likely going through. Best wishes in a speedy cleanup.

Thank you

Sure makes the rug stinky but I can't clean it till I get all the stuff out of here.

Thankfully it didn't go through the concrete floor to the suite below.