My 60 Gallon Project...

nevchewy

This is my first drawing:

drawingscale.gif

I plan on building my stand for my new 60 gal tank with two 10 gallon tanks underneith for breeding purposes.

I have decided to make this out of 3/4 MDF, and do it all my self with the help of my brother in law.

here is a picture of the tanks:

tanksempty.gif

I have got so far a new AC 110 filter for the tank and i plan on looking for a pair of AC mini's for the 10 gallons.

I have purchased so far including prices:

AC 110 - $80 (Pj's in WEM)

60gallon tanks - $170 (North East EDM Petsmart)

2x 10 gallon tanks - $22(North East EDM Petsmart)

50lbs sand blasting sand - $6 (princess auto on the west end)

total so far:

$280.

This is my start... Please free free to comment or make any suggestions that come to mind. Most of you have been there, and the help will be much appreciated!

nevchewy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be very careful about using sandblasting sand. It is usually made up of sharp jagged pieces which may shred the skin/scales off of fish that burrow. Look at it under a magnifying glass, if it is sharp I would go with pool/hot tub filter sand or the cheaper play pit sand from Home Depot (it needs a lot of rinsing before use).

Hey great idea for a stand! Is there going to be any storage in the two pillars? What type of fish are you going to keep in this set up?

I have been using the sand blasting sand in my 90gl tank for two months now with no adverse effects to the fish ( Malawi Cichlids ). It rinsed very well, did not cloud the tank and looks very natural. The pool filter sand works well from what I have read but I wasn't able to find any in Lethbridge. I'm sure it's sold here somewhere.

If you don't have burrowers you should be fine, I keep a lot of fish that like to bury themselves, so I am very leary on what sand I use. One other thing I just thought about with the sandblasting sand, some brands may have a high iron content....don't know if it would affect water quality, but it's somthing to think about.

Hey great idea for a stand! Is there going to be any storage in the two pillars? What type of fish are you going to keep in this set up?

As for the 2 pillars... I hope i can put some kind of door with some storage. That decision will be made once we start building as I think it all depends on how strong we can brace it. I think the conversion was 8lbs per gallon. which means i'll have 540 pounds on the top. that is not including rocks and the canopy, as this can probably get pretty heavy!

As for the fish... African mbuna it is!

I bought this tanks for the sole purpose to have a breeding group of Ps. Saulosi's which african_fever is selling me a Pair of F1's. He has one male and one female that will be added to this tank. I cannot wait to see these fish as he has told me that they were born in africa, and he got them shipped when he came back from his stay there.

Also, i'm purchasing A breeding stock of 1 male and 2 females from James Ford in winnipeg. He is getting rid of his breeding group, and i was lucky enough to jump in on them, as Ps. Saulosi's have been tough to find in these parts!

I have spoken to african_fever and he approved a 2nd breeding group in the tank of Ps Polits with the saulosi's. But i'm second in line and won't be getting them until some time in July, and won't be breeding for some time.

More pics to come... I hope to start the tanks this weekend!

nev

I use the same sand in a "sandbox" for my labs, powder blues, red zebras etc. The blues especially love digging and cavorting in the stuff. There is of course different varieties of sand blast sand. look at it under magnifier to be sure. :D BTW I think there is no swimming pool sand in Lethbridge because there are no swimming pools...... the water keeps blowing away :rolleyes:

Edited by HOSStile

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=83851

I posted on CF just to get a 3rd opinion sorta speak...

It looks like i should be able to use it!

I will still check it to make sure with a microscope though!

I have some rocks that i got from the last time i was in the mountains. I broke off a piece and placed it in with a gold fish i have. So far so good as the fish is still alive. I will post some pics of them to see what you all have to say.

I hope to get started on the stand by getting my wood and screws soon!

nev

I was kinda waiting on Robs opinion before voicing mine but here goes. Those 10s will not be very viewable or accessable stuffed in lengthwise, with I assume the AC minis to the rear I drew this VERY quickly to show you a possible alternative. The bottom view is an end view which would incorperate storage on the rear side.

Edited by HOSStile

Those fish look evil!!!! :ph43r:

That is not a bad idea!

i wasn't to worried about viewin the 10 gallon tanks as they would have only been for holding females and fry...

but you are right with your idea! it would be solid too if i use 2x4 bracing!

I'm going to show this to my brother in law and i'll come back and let you know which one i'm going for.

Thanks for the drawing!!!

me likes!!!! :thumbs:

nev

You may also want to look at sponge filters for the 10's rather than the AC's (or even both). I prefer to use sponge filters on fry tanks for the first month or so because it doesn't completely remove the food the way a powerfilter does and allows the fry to pick at food stuck/growning in the sponges all day. I'll usually put an AC on later (with a sponge covering the intake) when the fry are able to really go after larger food (the tiny NLS pellets of course!). Depending on what I've got in other tanks, I will often leave the sponge in (either to keep it going for another group of fry, or just as extra filtration since I seem to cram so many fry in so small a tank now with so many fish breeding!).

I like the plans you have for a stand. A really simple (though not the most aesthetically pleasing) stand would be to use HOSStile's design with cinder blocks for the ends and shelving for the horizontal pieces. I used to have a stand like this with a 27 on top and a 5 and 10 underneath (I also had three vertical 'towers' of cinderblocks as well for extra support).

You guy's shouldn't hesitate to voice your opinions on stand designs based on what I might think! :rolleyes: Lots of you guys have great ideas, and stands you have built out there, feel free to offer up!

There is no "bad design", other than the one that ends up on your floor! :tongue:

Watch out for sway in that stand from end to end. Not saying that WILL happen, but I ran into that prob. on a similar design. It's an easy fix though.

What's the span between pillar/cabinets going to be, and are you going to put some extra re-inforcement in there?

Rob

If he skins the stand across the back there should not be any sway. If I was doing it I would skin 3 sides put a bulkhead in behind the 10 gallons and put a door on one side which would give a storage area of 1' by 2' by 4' approximately across the back to store lamps, or a canister or dead or live snakes less than 4 ft long. :rolleyes:

What's the span between pillar/cabinets going to be, and are you going to put some extra re-inforcement in there?

the gap i messured imbetween both pillars in my drawing was 22". The reason i want to put them like in my drawing is so i can have my sturdyness in the pilars (keeping them as big as possible).

when you ask about extra re-inforcement... I plan on bracing the heck out of the thing! I'm nevous to do this but i think it can be done. My biggest concern is to see it collapse.

If he skins the stand across the back there should not be any sway

For sure!! there will be a backing!

nev