Don Gross' Fish Room And Breeding Facility

boydo

I have an opportunity today to visit Don's place and see his very impressive setup. Here are a few pictures I took of his incredible stock and breeding pairs.

Thanks for veiwing!

Snakeskin Blue Diamond

SnakeskinBlueDiamond.jpg

Silver Pigeon Blood Snakeskin

SilverPigeonBloodsSnakeskin2.jpg

Silver Pigeon Blood Snakeskin

SilverPigeonBloodsSnakeskin.jpg

Red Scribble

RedScribble3.jpg

Red Scribble

RedScribble2.jpg

Red Scribble

RedScribble.jpg

Mixed Discus

MixedDiscus.jpg

Koi Angels

KoiAngels3.jpg

Koi Angels

KoiAngels2.jpg

Koi Angels

KoiAngels.jpg

Brilliant Blue

BrilliantBlue.jpg

Blue Diamond

BlueDiamond2.jpg

Blue Diamond

BlueDiamond.jpg

Black Angels - very hard to photogragh

BlackAngels.jpg

Proud Angel Parents

AngelsProudParents.jpg

10-12mm Baby Discus

10-12mmBabyDiscus2.jpg

10-12mm Baby Discus

10-12mmBabyDiscus.jpg

Fire Red

FireRed.jpg

Edited by boydo

Been way too many years since I visited Don's fishroom. He had an amazing collection of different cichlids at the time....looks like he has done the same with discus now. :thumbs:

Fantastic Pics.

What kind of equipment did you use to take these photos?

camera type and settings

lens and settings

lighting used and placement of same. Ring flash?

I've got an L46 sitting on eggs and would like to document the process. Since this is the first time time I've had any success with this species, I would want to proceed with caution and not disturb him if at all possible. Would you have any suggestions in doing this?

Thanks again for sharing the pics and it has been some time since I saw Dons fish room and it is a dream setup.

Paul S

Wow those are amazing Koi Angelfish! :drool:

They are the nicest I've seen - by far!

Been way too many years since I visited Don's fishroom. He had an amazing collection of different cichlids at the time....looks like he has done the same with discus now. :thumbs:

He has a great setup and the discus are incredible.

Yes the Discus are very nice / looks like the adults have very round bodies... just the way Discus should be .... Great looking Pictures

Thanks.

how do you get photos like that with no distortion form the glass? looks like you put the camera underwater

Overhead flashes seem to help alot.

Great shots Bret, and always a pleasure touring the masters fishroom, Don. :)

Thanks!

Wow those are some great looking fish!!! :drool:

They look much better in person :).

Nice pics Bret, it would be great to check out his stock.

Thanks!

Great shots! I love them red scribbles very nice.

The scribbles are my fav's too.

Wow, some of those look so perfect it is hard to believe they are real!

Thank you!

Fantastic Pics.

What kind of equipment did you use to take these photos?

camera type and settings

lens and settings

lighting used and placement of same. Ring flash?

I've got an L46 sitting on eggs and would like to document the process. Since this is the first time time I've had any success with this species, I would want to proceed with caution and not disturb him if at all possible. Would you have any suggestions in doing this?

Thanks again for sharing the pics and it has been some time since I saw Dons fish room and it is a dream setup.

Paul S

I was using 2-3 overhead wireless flashes.

The camera is an E3.

I used several lens and combinations to shoot these pictures:

12-60mm 1:2.8-4 SWD

50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD

50mm 1:2.0 Marco

1.4 x Tele converter

As for the settings, they change with each picture I take.

The best thing to do is put your camera in manual and practise, trying all the different settings until you find a point where you camera responds to what you want.

Wow really nice fish and i love the setup you have with your camera. I guess i could sell all my fish and equipment and buy a setup like that but i guess that would defeat the purpose..... or not.... hmmm it's almost too tempting right now. I better sleep on it.

thanks for sharing

L

• 2 weeks later...

I have been remiss in not thanking Brett for the excellent pictures he took of my fish---Thanks Brett

Several people have contacted me with regard to my feeding program

It is really quite simple

I feed tiny fry with freshly hatched brine shrimp and at about 2 weeks , I start adding finely ground flake food

When the fish grow a bit I start adding NLS growth--once they are eating the NLS, I cut out the flake

I occasionly feed white worms or grindel worms--mainly because I get a kick out of watching the fish chase them down. I have tried red worms on several occasions and my fish

refuse to eat them

I tried putting the red worms in a blender once, to chop into smaller pieces---do not do this--do not ever do this

When the fish grow enough, I start with NLS 1 mm pellets and thats what they will eat forever

I do not feed any homemade mixes

Contrary to what many discus web sites say--beef heart is not required and it is very messy in a tank

I only wipe my tank sides down every few months--if you feed beefheart you will be wiping down the sides every few days--I do have bristlenose plecos in all of my tanks

I keep the breeders in 100 ppm water

All the rest of the fish are kept in tap water which in Red Deer is about 230 ppm ,according to my meter

Thats it

KISS