Bettas From Thailand

hybrid

It is sadly a form of entertainment for some. Dogs tug at my heart more than fish though but yeah it's all in bad taste.

From the bottom of my guts I seriously do not support fighting fish (or anything), I never understood why people do this kind of things on purpose. People need new hobbies, seriously.

Imagine you being so poor that your house consists of only 3 walls, maybe 4 if you're extra lucky...made out of spare wood found in the dump and maybe some corregated metal roof that you managed to save up for. Sleeping on straw mats on top of a dirt floor and living amoungst rats that are bigger than chihuahuas. Special of the day is whatever you manage to pull out of the creek/running stream and all you have for entertainment is maybe some chit chat with a neighbour...oh and if you're real lucky, you and your neighbour found a couple fish in a local pond and decide to fight 'em for entertainment.

Sounds crazy, but i've seen it...i've smelt it...i've made my faces at it...but it's a way of life for many people in that area of the world. I don't think it's cool, but that's just me. The Thailand you visit on vacation is a lot different than the Thailand you see when you live there. I came back to Canada extremely greatful for all that we have. :)

Imagine you being so poor that your house consists of only 3 walls, maybe 4 if you're extra lucky...made out of spare wood found in the dump and maybe some corregated metal roof that you managed to save up for. Sleeping on straw mats on top of a dirt floor and living amoungst rats that are bigger than chihuahuas. Special of the day is whatever you manage to pull out of the creek/running stream and all you have for entertainment is maybe some chit chat with a neighbour...oh and if you're real lucky, you and your neighbour found a couple fish in a local pond and decide to fight 'em for entertainment.

Sounds crazy, but i've seen it...i've smelt it...i've made my faces at it...but it's a way of life for many people in that area of the world. I don't think it's cool, but that's just me. The Thailand you visit on vacation is a lot different than the Thailand you see when you live there. I came back to Canada extremely greatful for all that we have. :)

Sad to say but i agree with you on that one. It's the not so desperate or uneducated ones that really get me going UFC anyone???? I won't watch it or support something like that in any way shape or form. They are athletes but they deserve NO RESPECT from me for what they do. Animals at least don't have something telling them what to do other than instinct. Enough of my rant sorry it was a bit off topic. Personally i don't see a difference in watching and enjoying UFC and enjoying two animals fighting.

Horrible.

L

Ahhh come on we could do the Betta brawl 2011 ---- :boxer: Calgary against Edmonton :boxer: --- only Calgary teams would be allowed to substitute Hero species in case a Betta is ill Edmonton teams have to substitute with guppies :beer:

I have a technical question for the betta people. What would the quality of these bettas be like? I would assume there wouldn't be any line breeding going on, or do they retire some of these fish to stud? Or are these more along the lines of wild bettas? Possibilities of introducing newer bloodlines to your stock?

Quality difference in appearances?

From the quick scan of the page, most pics look to be wild-type fish. If the people are serious about it, I'd assume there would be quite a bit of line breeding, choosing traits for size and strength would be my guess.