Drilling Tanks Is Easy

jvision

Tonight I had some free time, so I decided to drill some tanks for a project I'm working on. Here's how it went.

I started with 6 tanks (29, 25, 2x20L, 2x15)

th_IMG_0077.jpg

I would have loved to use a drill press, but the tanks were too deep. So, I had to make a jig.

th_IMG_0078.jpg

I added a little bit of vegetable oil to keep things cool and stop the spread of the glass dust

IMG_0080.jpg

Then, time to drill!!

IMG_0079.jpg

It only took about 25 min to do do all 6 tanks, plus I drilled a couple pots for my Apistos

IMG_0081.jpg

I'm setting these tanks with overflows, so here's the plumbing bits in - will add some silicone to make it water-tight

IMG_0082.jpg

I used a 35mm diamond bit that I bought on eBay - a set of 3 cost me about $25 shipped. The drill I was using was a variable speed w 3 settings; I used the lowest setting at about 1/2 speed.

Not really sure what else you'd like to know - it really is _that_ easy! :)

Last ones i did were princess auto bits...... I dont know how you stayed so cool.....

Took me 3 rum n cokes to even make the putty pool on my 180 gallons and once that grinding started i had 4-5 min of what felt like me holing a grenade that was about to pop LOL.... < see im laughing about it now :)

Most people recommend clamping a piece of wood to the back side to keep it from cracking, but I didn't. Except for the last tank, they all dropped a nice little cookie on the other side. The last tank (maybe used up the bit, maybe was a little anxious and pressed too hard) chipped a bit on the back side, but the hole is still nice and round.

I don't think there's much to worry about - just have to be careful when I tighten the fittings together, and maybe use a little more silicone.

I just drilled one more tank for a friend, and that did it for the bit - it's done. I'm wondering if I would have gotten any further if I'd spent the $80 at Rona...

the ones I did with the princess bits with 1/2 inch glass were good for 4 holes, then you could see the bear steel on the rim and it didnt sound right. I would think the $80 bits may give a few more but for the price Ide stick with an assortment of cheepOs

For the chipping inside I was told to buff it or sand it down so there are no stress points that could cause a fracture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I also found drilling a tank to be very simple and also used the Princess Auto diamond bit. I did 2 or 3 test holes (on old tank I was throwing away) and 3 holes on the main tank, no real sign of wear on the bit. The only down side to the Princess Auto is that it comes without the central hub or spindle; which you have to buy separate (or may match yours if you already have a hole saw for wood). The extra piece was also cheap but the problem is that it is not a tight fit to the bit. If you are not careful this leaves the bit not centered so it doesn't spin in a clean circle. It only takes a half minute to 'visually' center it and retighten so not a real problem, just something to be aware of ahead of time.

Darrell

• 2 months later...