Can You Freeze Goldfish?

Aroman

O.K, it’s time to go away for summer holidays once again, unfortunately my buddy will only take care of my Arowana, he will be moving boz over to his tank for the two weeks. So this leaves me with a tank full of feeder gold fish around 200 +/-, I plan on freezing the gold fish in bags of 25 thawing as needed. My question to you is how long can gold fish be in the freezer before they won’t come back to life?

Not sure if they will come back to life after being frozen for 2 weeks. I've had fish come back to life after being frozen solid for 8 - 12 hours.

Was that ice fishing Jorg? If so, I was thinking pretty much the same thing. I'm with you though, I very much doubt they would 'come back to life' after any period much longer than that, but that would be a pure guess on my part. definetely not 2 weeks!.

Why not just do a 75% water. Change and over filter the tank maybe a 7 day food pack or 2 and go on your trip I go to work for 2 weeks plus all the time and laurensmom feeds my fish "her daughters. Fish" maybe 3 times. If the gold fish get hungry they will just feed on the weeker fish

Not sure if they will come back to life after being frozen for 2 weeks. I've had fish come back to life after being frozen solid for 8 - 12 hours.

REALLY 8 - 12 HOURS!! Were they ok after that? I have also heard of people catching fish and freezing them, eg. walleye and they come back to live when thaw.

That just sounds to crazy!!!

Was that ice fishing Jorg? If so, I was thinking pretty much the same thing. I'm with you though, I very much doubt they would 'come back to life' after any period much longer than that, but that would be a pure guess on my part. definetely not 2 weeks!.

Yes they were fish caught ice fishing. Perch and pike can lay out on the ice all day at minus 20 and when you get home you put them in the sink with water to thaw them out. You come back half hour later to clean them and they are swimming around.

Yah, apparently perch can become frozen solid in a block of ice and then thaw out in the spring and come back to life again!! This was told to me by an avid fisherman. So maybe the goldfish thing isn't as sci-fi as I previously thought, lol.

There are quite a few animals that live around here that freeze thru te winter - fish, frogs & bats all do.

I don't know why but frozen and reanimated goldfish rings a bell with me too. Personally if you want to keep them alive for the two weeks I'd get a big tupperware container or rubbermaid for them to be in and by doing so you can hopefully increase the amount of water the fish have to pollute and the filter remove waste for. Put it in or near a window with some floating plants and don't worry about them. A double dose of prime wouldn't hurt either. My dad allways brings up the story of when he and his brothers had a few goldfish in a tank in the garage and they went away for the summer and when they came back the fish were in yuckey green goopy water about 3 inches deep and still alive. Even taking into account some exaggeration based on that account the fish should be perfectly fine for 2 weeks. get a feeding block or automatic feeder and your set. I doubt they'd all starve to death before you could get home even without the feeding block. Freezing them in my humble opinion is a riskier prospect.

Good luck

L