Resealing A Tank

vince0

Hi folks,

Im in the process of teaching myself how to reseal a tank and would like to know where is the best place to get the silicone in terms of price and service. Also, what is the correct type of silicone to use if I want clear, or if I want black.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Vince

Home Hardware carries a 3pak of silicone for $10. The tubes have in big letters "aquarium safe".

GE silicone 1 is what i used on my 80 gallon and i think there are some tips in my journal that i put there from the mistakes i made when i first sealed the tank. Rona also carries silicone that is labeled aquarium safe but it's white in colour so be careful of that unless you want white.

Good luck

L

Only once. Use the ge1 silicone. White tube, blue and black label. Specifically get one without any mildew inhibiters or there could problems, especially with smaller fish potentially.

Make very sure that you clean the surface of the glass very thoroughly and even use a little bit of sand paper and rubbing alcohol/nail polish remover. After you let it dry 2 days then clean the silicone with warm water and take that out, then fill the tank half way and let sit over 24 hours to check for leaks. The next day if no problems, fill it all the way and leave it another 24h. If it holds then throw fish in :)

I've sealed my 140, 180 and a few smaller tanks with all being a success.

Good luck

Thanks so much for the link Val, it really helped me out. I got the GE silicone from Canadian Tire. I did the first two tank last night, took about 20 minutes a piece to clean them up, and then another 5 min to silicone them both up. Best part is, other than lookin nice, clean and professional, they also hold WATER!!

Again, thanks so much for the info guys and gals!

• 2 weeks later...

cloverdale paint has RED DEVIL silicone and it doesnt say specifically aquarium safe but it is for use below the water line and has no mold/mildew resistance in it and it was about $699 for a tube, super cheap and red devil makes some pretty good products.

canadian tire / home depot have stuff too but it all says not for use below the water line

Thanks so much for the link Val, it really helped me out. I got the GE silicone from Canadian Tire. I did the first two tank last night, took about 20 minutes a piece to clean them up, and then another 5 min to silicone them both up. Best part is, other than lookin nice, clean and professional, they also hold WATER!!

• 1 month later...

Easiest way is w an exacto knife blade. Take off the bottom plastic rim and do what you can to wedge the knife in there. You may have to remove a side piece first, just to be able to get at the bottom pane.

cloverdale paint has RED DEVIL silicone and it doesnt say specifically aquarium safe but it is for use below the water line and has no mold/mildew resistance in it and it was about $699 for a tube, super cheap and red devil makes some pretty good products.

canadian tire / home depot have stuff too but it all says not for use below the water line

I use ge silicone I - kitchen and bathroom in clear with no mildew fighting agents. I have done quite a few tanks with this and it holds water and works great.