Separating Potted Plants?

Guppygirl

On the weekend I bought some of those plants that come in those little plastic pots. I removed the pots and the rock wool, really carefully. They are crypts. Should I try to separate the individual plants? and plant them that way, or is it best to just plant the whole pot full in one spot. One pot is crypt parva and the others are crypt wendtii. I don't want them to melt if possible-thou they do have nice roots. Any ideas would be wonderful. Thanks :thumbs:

I would plant them individually, but in the same area next to each other. They look good together, but they grow faster if you give'em a little space in between plants :) I don't have experience with Crypt's, but I'd guess that they should be okay to plant like that. I've had live plants for a few months now, and all mine are planted that way and they're doing great.

Yes, take them out of the pot an try to separate them. A little wool isn't bad, but they'll do much better separated.

I think I would separate them and try to keep as much of the roots as possible and even putting a root tab near or under them to help growth "might" help with minimizing melt. I have also planted them together before to make a fuller looking plant and they eventually grow away from each other but it took quite a while.

• 1 month later...

If you just want a cluster of plant then leave the bunch together, but remove all the fibre from the roots and plant. Target fertilize the roots if you've not already added a substrate fertilizer.

If you want the entire bottom or a major portion of the bottom carpeted with 6" tall cripts in a year, then plant them individually, but make sure the tank substrate is properly fertilized.