New Life Spectrum Food

FISHLIPS

well i finally fed my fish all the remaining food i had laying around about 2-3 months ago,since then i've fed mostly NLS and i have to say i've never seen my tanks so dirty,the substrate was absolutely poluted with a rusty red scum which resembles the pellets and the filters are the same.So bad i gave each tank a 60-70% water change and the water was still a mess.I really haven't noticed a quality change in the coloring of the fish.When i first started feeding it to them they would spit it out and search for something else.Could it be because they are sinking pellets and they're not getting all of them? It certainly doesn't seem to be the case with the pleco as they love them.

How much are you feeding?

My filters and gravel do have red stuff in them but they aren't gunked up with it and the gravel is never visibly dirty, even with weeks in between water changes. You might be feeding too much. You don't need to feed a lot, less then regular pellets. I just add enough for the fish to eat within a few seconds. Pellets shouldn't be falling to the bottom unless you are feeding bottom dwellers. Also since the pellets sink, I feed a little at a time. That way the fish have time to eat them before they fall. If you feed too much or too fast lots of the food just falls to the bottom and can go uneaten, which pollutes the tank.

I feed NLS Pellets daily to my GBR / Cherry Shrimp / Rainbows tank, I have sand substrate and never had this problem. I feed very little, 2-3 pellets at the most, along with some other type of food. They usually eat it up within 5-10minutes. Like Vallisneria suggested, you might be feeding too much. Do you have any snails, shrimp in the tank that can help clean up? If your pleco isn't cleaning up leftovers, then theres def way to much food in the tank...they are like garbage trucks.

I have found that bc NLS is so yummy, the fish will over eat so much so that the food doesn't all get processed and comes out roughly in the same condition as it went in.

I would recommend feeding about 1/2 of what you're feeding now, and see how it goes.

I have the same problem when I feed pellets that are too big for the fish - try using a smaller size. I also feed only what the fish can eat in 30 seconds or so.

How much are you feeding?

My filters and gravel do have red stuff in them but they aren't gunked up with it and the gravel is never visibly dirty, even with weeks in between water changes. You might be feeding too much. You don't need to feed a lot, less then regular pellets. I just add enough for the fish to eat within a few seconds. Pellets shouldn't be falling to the bottom unless you are feeding bottom dwellers. Also since the pellets sink, I feed a little at a time. That way the fish have time to eat them before they fall. If you feed too much or too fast lots of the food just falls to the bottom and can go uneaten, which pollutes the tank.

i feed one large pinch twice a day with 6 cichlids that are 5-6"s long and it hasn't ever dirtied the tank and filters this way with other food.The fish are crapping this out in huge chunks.I think i'll sell the rest of my bucket.

5-6 inch fish, what size pellets are you using ? For that size you should be using the 1 mil pellet maybe the 2 mil if you don't overfeed.

Try feeding once a day first. In my experience you should use about half the amount of NLS that you were feeding other pellets.

For an example, I feed my african tank(16 fish, 2-5") 2 pinches of the 1mm pellet once a day. Then throw a couple sinking wafers in after lights out for the catfish. In my community tank I feed the small fish formula for the smaller tetras and and 1mm for the rest. Each fish ends up getting about 1-2 pellets/day. Then I throw in 2 sinking wafers (broken in half) for the loaches and plecos.

I use NLS in all my tanks and have never had problems except when I overfed in the beginning.

Thats the first time I have heard that someone is not happy with NLS......I have done allot of reasearch on cichlid foods and NLS is in the top two......They have many sizes of sinking and floating types.......

I have many large and small cichlids in my 750 gallon tank and feed 4 different sizes of NLS sinkers and floaters.....

I def. overfeed, but after the feeding the fish spend hours digging in the gravel to find every last piece......

I only do a gravel vac. once every 6 months due to the size of the tank.......the last time I did a vac. was yesterday and I was amazed how clean the gravel was......I do have a very large pond canister filter and a sump on my tank so this helps.....

Do you have adaquate filtration???? No offense, just asking.....

• 3 months later...

Try feeding once a day first. In my experience you should use about half the amount of NLS that you were feeding other pellets.

For an example, I feed my african tank(16 fish, 2-5") 2 pinches of the 1mm pellet once a day. Then throw a couple sinking wafers in after lights out for the catfish. In my community tank I feed the small fish formula for the smaller tetras and and 1mm for the rest. Each fish ends up getting about 1-2 pellets/day. Then I throw in 2 sinking wafers (broken in half) for the loaches and plecos.

I use NLS in all my tanks and have never had problems except when I overfed in the beginning.

the biggest problem is my geophagus refuse to eat nls

Not knowing much about cichlids but have you thought of trying the flakes? My guppies refuse to eat the pellets which in it's self is odd cause they are usually piglets for most food, but will go nuts for the flakes same for my other fish.

the biggest problem is my geophagus refuse to eat nls

Skip a few days of feeding, and try again. If they are hungry enough they should try it.

they won't ever eat it,as soon as i feed them the frozen stuff (once every 3 days)they go nuts .The severum with them eats all the nls.The nls practically falls right on there geos heads without any interest......what other food can i try?