Assassin Snails Don't Assassinate

jvision

So, I've read these awesome stories about assassin snails hunting down ramshorn snails and killing them. I just don't see it. I though that after a week or so of having a minimum of 2 per 10gal (I have over 20 in one tank) I'd be seeing a ramshorn graveyard. I watched the other day as an assassin and ramshorn were on a direct course to each other and it was the ASSASSIN who ducked away when they reached each other.

I'm thinking that the assassins are just enjoying the excess food that the ramshorns are chomping on. The tanks that have the ramshorn problem are grow-out tanks, so I'm not really wanting to reduce the feeding. Guess I'm just going to have more kinds of snails....

keep in mind that only 2 assassin snails isn't going to produce a large graveyard of empty shells. They only (seeemingly) hunt at night...and it may take awhile for you to notice all the empty shells
;)

I've also found that my Spixi snails are carnivorous and eat other snails...even their babies...maybe it's just mine, Idk...lol
Edited by Wingin' It

It does take a long time to see a dent in a large snail population. I had a ton of pond and ramshorn snails in my 10g shrimp tank. I added 4 assassin snails and it took weeks before I noticed the population going down and thats why a bare bottom tank where I could see any empty shells.

I also added 4 to my 20g that I was noticing lots of tiny baby ramshorns on everything. I added them about 2 weeks ago and I can't see any difference in the ramshorn population.

Anyone know how much or how often a assassin kills another snail? They obviously don't go on a murderous rampage killing every snail they see. So do they eat 1 snail a day, every few days, a week? Anyone know?

I had a dozen or so in my 55 gallon planted tank and the progress is slow going. I still had to pick out a ton of MTS. Once the assassins had babies and the numbers picked up they have kept them in check. But the were not a miracle cure, but keep the MTS in check now.

What I think you guys need is T-9000 snails. Like assassin snails, they hunt other snails but much more effectively. However, a bit of a skynet bug i believe.

Ooooh! I'll have to check BigAl's for some next time I'm there! Or do you think they have a mod part in the high tech section? :w00t:

I have had assassin snails in my 10 and 20 gallon shrimp tanks for about 4-5 months now, am just starting to notice less pond snails. You just have to remember that assassin snails are small and will take time to clean a tank of snails. Mind you the assassins I had were starving do I noticed right away lol

My assassin snails are gourmets and don't care for MTS. However, I actually do accept pest snails and let the assassins pig out. Throw in a few ramshorns and all the assassins are like football linemen at a smorgasbord. It might take them a couple of weeks but they get the job done. I have them in all my tanks but couldn't tell you how many per tank though.

I put 20 assassins into my 90 gal kitchen tank which was over run with some kind of tiny ram looking snail. I haven't seen an assassin in there for weeks but the tiny snails are gone

• 1 month later...

I have 2 in my 20g planted/shrimp/endler tank and they do a fine job. I found it took 2 months before the 2 assassins started to do their job. I believe snails take a longer time to get accustomed to their new homes and start the assassinating.