Doing Some Work In The Fish Room

jeremoose

Hey all, first off a picture of a 30 gallon that I just bought new substrate for, I wanted to go heavily planted with it right from the start. Sitting on top of it is my new LED light setup (Beamswork Power LED 400). I have a ton of plants sitting in a bucket waiting to go in, once they're in I'll be adding some inert sand on the surface since I heard my Flourite Black Sand is bad for my Cory's barbels. Anyways, here's the tank half-way through the substrate switch:

20120205182523.jpg

Next we have my CA/SA Cichlid tank. It's a 50g currently housing 4 Convicts (all female), 2 Firemouths, 1 Jack Dempsey, and 1 Severum. I realize it will be overstocked in the future (the JD will be getting a 50g of his own, the Severum will be hitting a 60g with my Angels, and I'd like to keep the Firemouths and Convicts together in this tank).

Anyways, my wife has been getting increasingly frustrated seeing the eyesore that this tank had become.. We couldn't use any live plants since they just eat/uproot them all and we hadn't taken much time to really aquascape it. After a little research we decided to go with some silk and plastic plants from Michaels. Here's the finished product:

20120205210708.jpg

20120205210759.jpg

Thanks for looking! I will be updating this thread with the progress of the 30g planted once it clears up enough to aquascape.

Edited by jeremoose

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The next (not-so-great) update. We thought that the tank had cleared enough to aquascape but within 2 minutes of starting on it we were back to square one for clarity. Here's the tank with some haphazard greenery in it, I'm scared to see what it looks like when the water settles again.

20120206231355.jpg

More pictures to come once it settles a bit. I'm also picking up a Rena XP2 filter in the morning for it, pictures will follow. Additionally, I sprinkled some coarse sand on the top hoping it would weigh the finer Black Fluorite down enough that I can actually work in the tank without it being reduced to an impossible, cloudy mess.

So, that took forever. The tubing the guy gave me with it was a little too big so there was steady leak problems.. Additionally, the tubes were kinked to hell and look like they'd been rolled up for ages so they were impossible to get straight, but we made it work until we get something better. Makes me want to buy the actual Rena tubing or something similar that will work a little better. Thoughts? Also, here's the filter setup:

20120207131745.jpg

As you can see, there's quite a bit of water on the floor from trying to get the fittings tight enough..

20120207131755.jpg

Also, as soon as the canister is cycled properly I will be taking that HOB filter off the side and putting the LED fixture back on the top. Additionally, this is NOT the way the tank will be aquascaped, I just wanted to get the plants into it.

Edited by jeremoose

I picked up a XP3 from a guy who hard-lined the intake using 1/2" PVC - I'm thinking of converting my Eheims to PVC as well. Already done it for my FX5. :)

Looking good. The water cleared up nicely.

hb

Thanks! Once it really clears up I will be aquascaping it a lot differently, just wanted to get the plants into that nice fertilized water!

I picked up a XP3 from a guy who hard-lined the intake using 1/2" PVC - I'm thinking of converting my Eheims to PVC as well. Already done it for my FX5. :)

I was at Home Hardware considering doing something similar, seems like it might be the way to go, would just need to get the measurements exact and do it right the first time is all. Do you have pics of your setup?

EDIT: Also, does it look like I have my intake and spray-bar positioned more-or-less correctly?

Edited by jeremoose

Your positioning looks good. I don't have any pics bc I don't have it anymore. I believe I sold it to someone on AA, so pics may show up.

Your positioning looks good. I don't have any pics bc I don't have it anymore. I believe I sold it to someone on AA, so pics may show up.

Okay thanks! I will be moving the spray-bar into the corner more once I am able to take that HOB filter out.

Looking good so far, and that's a nice piece of driftwood! I was really lucky and actually found a piece of drifwood at AC that I liked...so much for not spending much there lol How are the val's doing? I hope I was right about how many I gave you. Look forward to seeing it after it's cleared up more and rearranged the way you want it :)