Doing Some Work In The Fish Room

jeremoose

EDIT: I'm embarrassed about how bad that HOB filter looks.

I felt the same way when I was converting to canister. I could visualize the end result and wanted the HOB out soonest. The more I looked, the more I hated it; it was always in the way and moving it was like "tax pain" (if you seen the commercial).

What you've done so far looks really good! That piece of driftwood is a nice touch!

Haven't seen the commercial, ever since I got PVR I don't think I've watched one commercial (thank god for that).

And thanks very much, my wife found it on kijiji and had to have it so we pretty much made a special trip to Edmonton (okay, maybe I wasn't exactly "dragged" along).

Edited by jeremoose

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mini update. I got incredibly impatient (I know you advised me against this but I just really want to succeed here!) Picked up a new T5HO light fixture this morning.

17908360.jpg

And my wife polishing the reflector.

62332733.jpg

Hopefully some crazy growth updates to follow!

Here's some before and after pictures:

Beamswork Power LED 400

55640085.jpg

Glo T5 HO Double Fixture

20120209121152.jpg

Despite the price-tag, we're more than pleased with this new light setup. If you're wondering why the second picture looks like the room is dark.. That's just how bright the light is.

Edited by jeremoose

The new lights look really good! Those plants are gonna grow really fast now. Made me think about how much my plants have grown, and looking at a picture from November and at the tank today, it's amazing. My 3 amazon swords take up half the tank lol I got them all when they were about 3'' and I think they're now about 12'' tall and about 6-8'' wide?

The new lights look really good! Those plants are gonna grow really fast now. Made me think about how much my plants have grown, and looking at a picture from November and at the tank today, it's amazing. My 3 amazon swords take up half the tank lol I got them all when they were about 3'' and I think they're now about 12'' tall and about 6-8'' wide?

Thanks very much! What are you running in your planted tank for lighting?

Wow, that light will definitely get things going. You will need lots of Nerite snalis to help with algae. The setup is looking awesome!

hb

Thanks a lot, we're really pleased with it so far! And yeah, I'm doubting my little BN pleco will be able to keep up with the impending algae bloom. I can't wait to see what it looks like in a weeks time!

I have no idea...a flouresent light? I got it with the tank and never thought to ask, and I haven't bothered to look for a name/number on it. All I know is it's really bright like yours is and it works well. I should find out though. If the light burns out, then I'm gonna need to rush out and get a new one...knowing what I have would be helpful if that happens lol

I agree that nerite snails would be a good addition. I love my Zebra and horned nerite's, so cute and the best algae eaters I've seen!

I have no idea...a flouresent light? I got it with the tank and never thought to ask, and I haven't bothered to look for a name/number on it. All I know is it's really bright like yours is and it works well. I should find out though. If the light burns out, then I'm gonna need to rush out and get a new one...knowing what I have would be helpful if that happens lol

I agree that nerite snails would be a good addition. I love my Zebra and horned nerite's, so cute and the best algae eaters I've seen!

I'm happy you're getting such good growth out of your stock light, but I've never had ANY luck with my stock lights! It's always been a fight to keep my planted tanks thriving.

sounds good to me,i usually try to mix 2 different spectrum's on my planted tanks aswell.

Excellent. I can't wait to see the results. I might even throw the LED light on in behind the new T5HO unit, see what happens. That way I can have the blue moonlight LED's set on a timer to flip on at night.