Cheap Aquarium Gravel/Sand

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and fish keeping. I just bought myself a 150 gallon tank and was wondering if there is a place we can buy large amounts of aquarium gravel or sand for cheap?

Guest Guest

I live in Calgary.

I'm looking for anything that will do the job really.

If sand is cheaper, I'll get sand. If gravel is cheaper, I'll get gravel.

I know most fish stores carry what we need. I was curious to know if anyone knew a place to buy this stuff wholesale or in large quantities for cheap because my tank require so much of the stuff.

Check out the threads on sandblasting sand for info. I persoanlly just started using it, and it's 'so far, so good'...

As well, down at the GlenDeer Circle is Burnco's Retail Center. They have a HUGE variety of sands and smaller rock products that could be used, depending on the fish and your requirements. All products there can be purchased in bulk, literally (their loaders have two-yard buckets) or you can bring buckets and shovel your own.

I would suggest heading down there and seeing what they have... talk to the sales people in the store and they'll be able to give you an idea of the mineral contents of each material and may even have MSDS's available for some products.

Remember to be EXTRA diligent in rinsing anything 'foreign' before introducing it to a tank.

If you are located in the Edmonton area I have lots of gravel in many different colors (mostly blends) and I have no idea what it's worth (35 cents?) a pound. If it was black I wouldn't be looking for any but alas there is no straight black left.

PFS is cleaner than play sand, and doesn't contain as fine a particle size, so it tends to settle faster if the fish kick it up. If you use HOB filters, leave the lower extension off, so the intake is up off the bottom. (to prevent sand from ruining your impellers)

• 3 weeks later...

Alright I'm trying PFS for the first time in one of my aquariums. I've used gravel in all my other aquariums with no problems. Gold's warns against PFS because of HOB problems however I know sand is more natural for "sand-sifting fish." So...aside from not using the lower extension on the AC are there any other measures that can be taken to prevent sand from wrecking the impeller/motor?....foam on intake or...

I've done that! ..just picked up some Haplochromis obliquidens (Lake Victoria) and put them in this tank. Man are they having fun in the sand! :w00t: