!&$@*£]*¥!

Jayba

Thanks everyone, I am now taking cash donations and gift certificates to Fairdeals Fish Hut. ;)

I am laughing about it today, picturing two little boys standing in front of the tank thinking "Woah, so cool"

I think it;s time my boy got his own tank, he has learned a lesson, and so have I. Don't keep all your eggs in one basket.

I was thinkiing today about when I was 6 or 7, and a friend and I unscrewed the caps off many cases of Pepsi my father had stocked up on in the basement as he found a great price. (They entertained allot)

We had figured out that you could win stuff if you looked under the cap. So we opened them all. Not sure if we ever tightened them back down or not, but was my dad pissed. All of them were flat. Whatever that meant.

I didn't think it was such a big deal at the time.lol Kids common sense is a whole lot different than an audults, theirs is still a work in progress.

Pick your battles....the teen years await

Ouch, sorry to hear that. It is sweet that he wanted to clean them for you. Setting up his own tank is a great idea. He could learn the right way to clean a tank, and help you clean yours. I bet he'd be grinning at the thought of helping his daddy.

My daughter (4) has tried helping with my tanks. Luckily nothing too bad, but she did destroy her 3g I set up for her. She must have put a good handful of algae wafers in it. I had the light off cause of an outbreak of algae...so I didn't notice until the smell of ammonia was wafting through the house. She now knows to not feed the tanks without mommy's help. She hasn't asked to feed the fish since then, but has been helping with water changes, which she's super proud of :)

Edited by DragonNeko

jay I have gone to canopy’s on my tanks to hide the lights and such hearing your story I am thinking locks might be in order to stop little hands from putting anything in the tanks when I am at work.. what site are you on?

Suncor Firebag

jay I have gone to canopy’s on my tanks to hide the lights and such hearing your story I am thinking locks might be in order to stop little hands from putting anything in the tanks when I am at work.. what site are you on?

Suncor Firebag

you with FT?

• 9 months later...

Yes. They all got bath bombs for Xmas.

I think my little guy learned from his mistake. Also he now has a tank in his room so if he feels the need to do it again the only fatalities will be sword fish. He diligently asks before even feeding my fish now. So he understands

Hey, I just reread your story, guess I never read the whole story the first time, I didn't realize you lost some of your most expensive fish. I am ever so sorry. I know this happened over a year ago so emotions have settled.

It must have been around the same time as your "accident" that we had a miss hap of our own. I was graciously watching some young kids in my house for one of our volunteers at the zoo. When I when to check on the kids in the living room, and discovered they were playing hide and seek under my 160 gallon bow front. I quickly ushered them out and told them they couldn't go under the tank as it could be dangerous. And never thought anything more of it.

Had it been me who turned the tank lights on the bow front off that night I might have noticed the pumps not working but it was my husband who shut the tank lights off for the night. In the morning my husband woke me up with frantic news that all twelve of our 5-10 inch blue Zaire fronts had parished.

The kids had turned off the power bar under the tank that powdered both eheims and the air pump. We had just bought those fronts about five months previous for $1200.

I couldn't even talk about it for months afterwards.