!&$@*£]*¥!

Jayba

While on my days off, my son (3) and my daughter (6) and I went into a Lush store so I could get some lip balm, soap and some other things I like to use.

The kids were looking around while I was in line to pay. They both came back to me with a bath bomb they liked and said that we should get them for mom. Great idea.

I hopped out of line and we found another 4 bath bombs the kids approved of for their mother. In looking they also found one each for themselves. So back into line we went with the bombs and 2 very proud and excited little kids.

That night both of the kids had a bath seperately as they couldn't both decide on a flavor/scent of bomb to use. My daughter was excited as she is such a little lady and loves girly stuff. My son equally excited liked the bombs, as he liked how they fizzed and erupted in the water. Picking it up repeatedly and yelling 'Bath Bomb!' and dropping it into the water and making an explosion sound. He repeated this until it finally dissolved. He wanted another one. I explained that they were only for special occasions, and only one would be used tonight. He seemed ok with that.

I flew back to work yesterday, hit the ground running. The first couple days back are madness, dealing with things that have transpired while on my week off. I am usually mentally pooped at the end of the day. I so look forward to my phone calls home to the kids and my wife. The kids tell me about their day, my daughter and I practice math, spelling, she plays the piano for me etc.

My son being 3 likes to ask questions about things and generally just be the little goofball he is. As he gets older the conversations get better. One of my favorites that comes to mind is my wife telling me to "ask Nathan what he wants to be when he grows up?"

Without batting an eye or pause his response was " When I grow up I wanna be a bat" he was deadly serious. Lol. Then I realized when we were in Mazatlan he and I were cuddling on a lounger out by the pool at dusk watching the bats fly in the sky. I told him that some bats eat bugs and some eat fruit. Well he has decided he wants to be a fruit bat when he grows up. He is very adamant he won't eat bugs, just fruit. So this kind of puts into perspective the mentality of a 3 year old. They are insane.

So fast forward to 7:30 tonight. My wife calls and says that Nathan has something to say to me. Sure, he always tells me about cool things that happen in his world that he likes to tell me about. The weird thing is before my wife passes off the phone she says "bite your tongue." Hmm. Weird but ok.

Next thing I hear is the little voice of Nate saying "sorry daddy, it was an accident. I wanted to make them clean" my response was something along the lines of "it's ok buddy, what was an accident?" he proceeded to tell me there was an accident with the bath bombs. I am picturing a stain on the tile, a mangled shower curtain or some other mess in the bathroom.

Nope.

He then told me it was a special day because his friend Rhys came over to play. The 2 boys went to the basement to play apparently, I am unsure of the rest of the details, but there was a demonstration for his friend with regards to bath bombs. What better way to show how they work than a glass box with water in it!?

It just so happened it was my L-046 Zebra pleco/Glossolepis wanamensis tank!!!!!!!

After prodding for details about which tank and some other details, I proceeded to tell him it was an accident and a reminder that you never put anything into fish tanks as it can make the fish die. He was very apologetic and he was beating himself up pretty good about it. His lovely sister more than likely reminded him "That Dad is gonna loose his mind!" or something reassuring like that.

Luckily I remembered that this was a little boy who I found peeing outside in the back yard a few weeks ago, and when confronted about the wrongdoing made the arguement "well the dog does it!"

My wife sent me a text with the total fatality list. It's a whopper. I just about puked.

12 L-260 fry @ 1.5 inches

16 L-204 fry @ 1.5 inches

6 L-046 Zebra plecos

8 G. Wanamesis rainbowfish

The rainbows are irreplaceable, priceless. The plecos are worth literally thousands of dollars. My wife chucked the ones clinging to life into other tanks, and drained and refilled the tank a couple of times bless her heart.

I will deal with it when I get home Monday. So tempted to tear all my tanks down and revisit this at a later date. Or keep lame little fish from the LFS. Who knows.

Oh yeah, and to boot, I also need a new Blackberry, the one I had in my hand at the end of the call fell on the floor and ricocheted off a file cabinet and a wall somehow. FML. LOL.

Edited by Jayba

sorry for you loss... everything but the blackberry... now you can get a real phone...j/k!! I hope you can track down some replacements for the lost fish!!

My work phone was the Blackberry. Just ordered a new one as mine for some reason is not working. Hmm.

As far as the fish go I have some world class sucking up to do to Harold and Rick. Hopefully it works.

Ahh, nothing quite compares to empty desperate feeling you have when your wife or kids tells you there is something wrong with the fish and you are a 100 mile away from home.

It happens to all of us. I feel bad for you. FML indeed. You just have to look at it as an opportunity to start something new.

Wow sorry dude I know the feeling raised to girls on limited income .Came home one day my daughter cut and trimmed my small orchid collection she cut the green leaves off this pales to your situation but children are children tryin to copy you.

Ouch, sorry for the loss. I haven't had such a problem as my tanks are 60" before you can open a lid. My kids are are all grown up but I have lost fish do to my own stupidity. Hard one to swallow but the fish can be replaced just takes a while for our sanity to come around.

Edited by t-man

Jay I feel your pain - hate to lose any fish too. You get kudos for taking it out on the phone and not your son. It is so easy to go off the deep end and then regret what you have said or done to your kids for the rest of your life. 3 year olds do learn from mistakes and that is just part of growing up. The fish can be replaced but not the great relationship you have with your son and I hope that you do decide to continue in the hobby and not be discouraged out of it. It will take him a while to figure out that you clean a fish with a knife but for now he knows you don't use bath bombs.

Oooo...that is not cool...my son killed off a tank once, and as he tells it, "no one was watching me, and then I wanted to feed the fish...but I fed them too much and they died."

Good for you for keeping it together! Sorry for the losses though. :(