Water Changes

Ace22

I was wondering how many people do their water changes without pre conditioning their water. By this I mean when I had smaller aquariums I would fill a couple of five gallon pails with water...add my prime and let it sit over night..now I drain 75% of my tanks refill with water from a hose hooked up to my sink and add prime while filling. I don't seem to stress the fish at all and its quick and easy so I am more inclined to keep the regular water changes. Just wondering how many other do the same.

I do the same - just add water from the tap w. enough Prime added to the tank to treat the entire tank volume (as per instructions on the bottle, I believe).

I have always put the water in buckets or a tub and let the water sit for 5 min because I was scared to lose any of my fish. Glad to hear of people adding water straight to the tank - has anyone ever encountered problems doing it like this?

Using 3g buckets isn't too bad with the 10g or a 5g, but the big tanks are a bit more tedious.

Was also wondering if anyone had any negative experiences? Mostly good?

I've wanted to...but have been to nervous.

Edit: Also it's good to hear positive things from people using Edmonton water as opposed to trying to look online for this info.

Edited by Sierra

I've never noticed any stress in my fish they almost seem to enjoy the water changes from eating particles stirred up in the gravel to surfing the waves from the hose,even the shrimp get into the action.

I have killed fish by not lifting the hose out of the water. The tap water has a lot of dissolved gasses in it and as soon as it leaves the hose, the gasses start to release. If you don't let the water splash, the gasses can release in the fish - lost $100 worth of fish once doing that. :(

I am beginning to think I will just play it safe and keep bringing out the large rubbermaid container. I use the hose to fill it from the tap and a pump to put it in the tank once it has sat there an hour, so it isn't all that hard. The water station in Athabasca often has fluctuations in the water coming out of our tap so it is probably safer for me.

For some reason, most of my current fish are $15+. Now how did that happen? :huh:

I've been wanting to try the straight from the tap method for a long time, my question is how do you go about temperature matching? Wouldn't alot of fish be shocked and possibly killed from a sudden temperature change? That's the only thing that's been holding me back. I currently fill, temperature match, and treat water in a 5 gallon bucket before adding it to the tank. It's extremely tedious though when doing large change outs on the big tanks.

I add one cap of prime for every 4 pails right from the tap. I check the temperature by feel. I do 20-25% every 2 weeks. Never have problems. I also use a large rubbermaid container that holds 4 pails , and then either pump the water into the tanks or use gravity. My large tank is beside some stairs so I put the tub on the landing and siphon. It's fast!! You can buy small water pumps at Aqua Giant for reasonable prices and they work really well. 1-2 gallons / minute is fine.

Edited by sicklid

I use the kitchen faucet and match the tank temp by adjusting the hot/cold. I then put the hose in a five gallon pail and make the dash to an awiting chair to reach the top of my tank. I am sure it is funny to watch but it works. I monitor the temp in the tank while I fill. I often run out of hot water at the end of the change so have to give my tank awhile to recover then finish filling.

ha I do about 4 180 gallon water changes a week right out of the tap crappy thing is and the only bad thing is i run out of hot water about half way through and usualy takes my tank from 85 down to 82 or 81 but havent noticed anything use about 2 capfulls to treat the tank