First Try At Aquascaping- Thoughts?

kristarockstar

I decided to try out and Aquascape tank. I currently have a 10 gallon planted/driftwood tank with shrimp, snails and a few cardinal tetras.

I think I will try a 20 gallon (or whatever i can find buy/sell or on kijiji) something not too pricy as I spent a lot getting some ADA aquasoil and a bunch of ground cover type plants (used christmas money as I am currently unemployed, but now I have time for this proect!) And I may have to get some lights and some other equipment depending on what can scrounge from my house and other tank.

I did a lot of googling and looking through pictures and I found this great thread to help me pick a style/design.

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/aquascaping-categories-my-own-take-on-it.5970/

I have narrowed it down to:

(on pg 1)

arches/caves

tree stump

waterfall/stream

(on pg 2)

fantasy

tree

I might change my 10 gallon to a 'tree' or 'tree stump' aquascape if this goes well (but I wan't able to find a good piece of wood for a tree shape while shopping)

For the new tank I am especially drawn to the fantasy, pandora ones as it would allow me to keep some other creatures such as crabs or frogs or something that need some land above water. I also like the look of fantasy/ruins, if it is not too cheesy. But I also really like the landscape quality of the waterfall/stream or arches/caves styles. decisions, decisions!

I am going to check out http://www.ornamentalstone.ca/Ornamental_Stone.html#2 in a couple of weeks (once they are back from holidays) for some cool rocks.

I read that there was some chemical you should test rocks to make sure they are suitable for aquariums. Anyone know what it is and where to get it?

Any other suggestions for unusual rock?

I am also a sculptor, so I could sculpt some foam and coat it in something. Any idea what to coat the foam with to look like stone/ natural but won't harm the tank inhabitants? Or maybe another natural looking sculpting medium? other ideas?

Anyone know how one would make those pandora floating islands? i was thinking maybe they used strong fishing line and hung them (maybe from the lid or light system)

Any other suggestions/ideas? cool pictures?

Thanks!

Krista

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the biggest things is don't try to copy a picture. For someone new typically it won't look the same and then frustration can set in. I suggest look @ loads of pics and use your 'inner eye' (as your a sculptor) and mesh what ideas YOU want in your tank.

For ideas this is also a fun site: http://www.tropica.com/en/layouts.aspx

For the foam idea...make sure you use pure silicon and has NO additives if you want to coat it. When the foam is coated and still wet throw rock and or moss on it so it will stick...save another step with not using a glue. Look at this for suggestions: http://albertaaquati...showtopic=36149

For testing rocks, use an acid...if it foams throw the rock away. BUT make sure it actually foams as putting wet and a dry rock can cause bubbles as the liquid seaps into the surface. For the getting of rock try the big garden supply centers such as Burnco (a personal favorite).

For a 20 gal, rocks good for a tank, give me a shout.

hope some of this helps.

Edited by ckmullin

One of the biggest things is don't try to copy a picture +1

I find it to be the most fun when I go to a store knowing the size of tank I have and having a general idea what I am going for. The idea inevitably evolves into something that wasnt the picture in my head initially. Once I took my tank and upgraded and since the water I transferred was from an old tank, it was cloudy (sandy and what not), so I had to blindly place my hardscape in my tank using my imagination. I did the same with my plants (exceptions; pygmy swords which were later smattered about). In the morning, I found that my tank looked quite different from what I imagined, but I wound up leaving it as it was :) I think that aquascaping is all about the fun of making something look nice in your own way, making it different than other peoples tanks.

I wasn't planning on copying a picture but I looked through a lot of them to see what kind of 'style' I preferred.

I have everything I need to get started except lighting (see post http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=38595) and some cool rocks.

I have considered sculpting my own rocks but I don't have much experience using non toxic colourants. I was thinking of using a concrete product. I sculpted at the calgary zoo for some of their exhibits but we used acid stains which gave a great natural coloured finish but would not work for aquariums without a good sealer, but I don't know what sealer would be a matt finish and non toxic. I also was thinking of using apoxy sculpt (a two part sculpting compound) but I don't know if I have enough of it and it might be more difficult to do a natural looking 'paint job'. I think I will wait to see what this ornamental stone place has (as it seems to have some more interesting stuff compared to burnco) but that is still a week away as the guy is on holidays until the 7th. I can't wait!

• 3 weeks later...

So I picked up a few Fluval aquariums cheap, so I started with those first. I used 'etched glass' film from home depot as backgrounds.

I also have my 10 gallon to redo (i have cardinals, cherry shrimp, and snails in there now)

I tried scupting a tree for the Fluval spec but I am not happy with the scale/layout so I will redo this one.

I got the rocks from Greens Lapidary for $15. They have some really nice gold/shimmery flecs but I think I might try a more natural coloured substrate.

I have a mystery snail and some cherry shrimp in here. I had a dwarf orange cray but it died while moulting :(

IMG_1143_zps3bc5e96e.jpg

Then I did the Fluval Ebi. I took out the foam background and put it behind the aquarium to hide the hanging cords.

I got the purple quartz rocks from greens lapidary for about $20. I wish the filter and heater could be hidden behind a 'wall' like in the fluval spec.

I have my yellow shrimp and killifish that I got from the CAS meeting in here.

IMG_1140_zps7ecad73b.jpg

And just did my 20 Gallon long.

I got the 'moon rock' from Ornamental Stone for about $15. I also wanty to add more ground cover plants when I get the chance/money.

Not sure what I will stock this with yet.

IMG_1138_zps0e7a65f5.jpg

Some other iphone pics

IMG_1127_zpsff70545c.jpg

IMG_1126_zpsec95a69e.jpg

IMG_1131_zps26292d8d.jpg

Edited by kristarockstar

I like it all so far. I think you just need some patience with the Spec - once that moss grows in that tree will look great!